2023 Drum Corps Season – DCP/DCW COVERAGE – 2023 DCA World Championships Prelims – Rochester, NY (DCA)

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Rochester Community Sports Complex Stadium, home of the 2023 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminaries competition! My name is Kevin Gamin, Managing News Editor of Drum Corps Planet, and I will provide you with LIVE! From the Stands coverage of today’s event. All 12 DCA corps are performing tonight, so it’s a big night of drum corps for us all!

My view for tonight’s competition:

My view for tonight’s competition

Here is tonight’s schedule, courtesy of the DCA website:

Virtual-Contest.png

Tonight’s weather forecast, courtesy of CARROT Weather, available on iOS and Android:

Tonight’s weather forecast

First on the field in DCA A Class competition is the Columbus Saints from Columbus, Ohio. Their 2023 program is entitled “Homecoming”. No repertoire was given on the DCX Museum website.

Welcome to homecoming. After a slow intro from the front ensemble, the tempo kicks up and a baritone/trumpet duet play the melody on A Ha’s Take On me.

The wind it going to make life very interesting for color guards today, but it’s going to affect the Saints guard most of all as it is a single member, so her entire performance is a guard feature.

Hornline now playing the chorus backfield while the percussion has a chance to shine midfield. Drum line getting some good body work in with their playing.

Guard member does a rifle toss on the stage prop. Great moment as the corps introduces the second movement of the show. The percussion has switched to HBCU style drums on slings, including a single tenor.

The two tubas now come up front and lay down the bass line as our homecoming king is announced. Said king takes the stage and throws down a snare solo.

The tempo comes back down and, after a brief pause for applause, the corps begins their ballad. The guard member switches to saber for this moment in the show.

Baritone soloist opens with the melody before a trumpet joins them on chorus. Our guard member is named homecoming queen, so the percussion takes over on flags to provide some color to the movement.