10 hours ago, ironlips said:

I didn't know that, but it makes total sense that these two giants were born under the same star.

The old saying among drum corps veterans of a certain era was that if you never got to play Kenny's "Auld Lang Syne" or Duffy's "Battle Hymn" you got cheated.

Mike wrote for all the heavies in the early DCI days: Anaheim ('72 Champs), Blue Stars ('72 runner up), Troopers (perennial contenders), and dozens of the rest. He just about invented the "Sound of DCI".

He's been in my personal Hall of Fame for 50+ years. Rest his remarkable soul. Mike Duffy is irreplaceable.

Duffy told me that.  That was before Norman passed on.

I never met him in person. Jim knew him well because he was in Kilties.  He was always very kind to me and he’d often ask what it was like being the one distaff brass player in the Kilties.  I said I’d done it before in Norwood Park but it was a little “different” as a forty something woman.  He was a classic. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 10:06 PM, ironlips said:

I didn't know that, but it makes total sense that these two giants were born under the same star.

The old saying among drum corps veterans of a certain era was that if you never got to play Kenny's "Auld Lang Syne" or Duffy's "Battle Hymn" you got cheated.

Mike wrote for all the heavies in the early DCI days: Anaheim ('72 Champs), Blue Stars ('72 runner up), Troopers (perennial contenders), and dozens of the rest. He just about invented the "Sound of DCI".

He's been in my personal Hall of Fame for 50+ years. Rest his remarkable soul. Mike Duffy is irreplaceable.

:100_pray:

Posted (edited)

I never met Mike Duffy. But if you spent much time in the haunted spaces of "drum corps internet" over the past 30'ish years, you'd be hard pressed to find a guy that brought more humor and levity into the self-serious arguments that tend to fester in these communities. I'm going to make some time to peruse the old RAMD sinkhole and giggle at his contributions. If you get bored and want an idea of what it was like, and you don't mind inadequate search tools and terrible TEXT/HTML/ASCII translations, go  to https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.marching.drumcorps/search?q=mcduffy&sortBy=DATE and do some poking around. 

Edit to recommend looking at the older posts, then you might avoid some of the more retched scum and villainy of RAMD.

Although you'd miss this banger:

DCI Orchestration Question?
T. Monique
Nov 8, 2003, 12:05:00 PM
How are last year's top five scoring?
What groups are scoring in G, and what groups are using multi-key?

Nov 8, 2003, 5:27:32 PM
To: "T. Monique"

> How are last year's top five scoring?
>
In the upper 90's by EARLY AUGUST DCI Championships

McDuffy

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Haha 1

Loved his instruction during my years in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps 05-08; he made me wish I had started marching DC a lot younger than I did.