SPace chords

GCityVet

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used them during Waterworks and warm-ups w/ THE GLASSMEN!!!!

B)

Edited by gmencontra

Edited by newterak

a space chord is just a chord where just about all notes in the chormatic are played at the same time.

go to a piano...slam down a lot of keys at once and PRESTO! a space chord. ^0^

space chord (n) : *see also Blue Devils 2003*

Edited by l2elic

I did the space chords in Blue Devils....every year I was in: 81, 82, 83, 84, 85

I have several memories of doing them, with the most memorable being the warm up to the 82 DCI Finals.

Jack is doing the space chords......going through our chord repotoire. Jack splits his hands to denote the space chord.....runs his hands down the horn line, starting with the sopranos down towards the baris....the horn line members race through their notes as has been done many times before....Jack slowly raises both hands to get our volume up then throws his hands into the air to signify the "F tuning" sequence....at which point a bolt of lightning shoots through the sky the same moment we break into the "F tuning" sequence.....

Let me tell you.....that was an incredibly intense moment to witness and be a part of......It certainly was a sign to us.

I have a recording of our space chords before our 84 finals performance. Tons of power on display from that horn line.

Edited by bd5times

you know, i've never heard it called space chords....i've always heard it called traffic, but that's just from marching band. i don't think we ever did it in phoenix. when i heard space chords, i always thought of this one Cadets chord progression where the tech points at a person, just like in the blue devils space chords, but they just change their note in the chord. it sounds soooooo amazing......

a space chord is just a chord where just about all notes in the chormatic are played at the same time.

go to a piano...slam down a lot of keys at once and PRESTO! a space chord. ^0^

When all the notes are being played at the same time, there are certain harmonics that match up and it doesn't sound as dissonant as it could. The best thing to do is to take a simple chord, like the one ending West Coast Warm-up and have everyone go either up a half step, down a half step, or stay on the same pitch. This kind of space chord will hurt you internally.

go to a piano...slam down a lot of keys at once and PRESTO!  a space chord. ^0^

When all the notes are being played at the same time, there are certain harmonics that match up and it doesn't sound as dissonant as it could. The best thing to do is to take a simple chord, like the one ending West Coast Warm-up and have everyone go either up a half step, down a half step, or stay on the same pitch. This kind of space chord will hurt you internally.

mmmmmmmmm...........organs liquifiying.........someone could try combining minor 2nds and tritones.....

Edited by BCC99Man