Questions from 1988 DVDs

OK... so this morning, I pulled out the 1988 DCI Legacy DVD to play on my new Dell (woo-hoo!) and some questions came to my mind...

1. The banner on the backfield wall advertises "DCI 1989 in Montreal." But, of course, DCI Finals returned to Arrowhead Stadium in 1989. What happened? I believe I've read somewhere that there were acoustic problems in Montreal in 1981(?). Why did DCI scratch Montreal in 1989?

2. Love, love, LOVE the 88 version of SCV's "Phantom of the Opera" show. But here's my question...when exactly did color guards stop wearing uniforms that "connected" to the rest of the corps? What year did the costumes first start, and which corps was the first to do it?

3. Speaking of color guards...aside from the Cavies, Madison, Bandettes, etc., are there any single-gender guards left today? I noticed that SCV had a coed guard in 88, but were all female again in 89...

4. And what about Madison's 88 version of "Malaguena"? Pretty awesome...the cymbals during the last mellophone solo are great!

Just some thoughts...still watching the DVD...more to come later...

Edited by charphar

3. Speaking of color guards...aside from the Cavies, Madison, Bandettes, etc., are there any single-gender guards left today? I noticed that SCV had a coed guard in 88, but were all female again in 89...

Phantom Regiment.

• 4 months later...
2. Love, love, LOVE the 88 version of SCV's "Phantom of the Opera" show. But here's my question...when exactly did color guards stop wearing uniforms that "connected" to the rest of the corps? What year did the costumes first start, and which corps was the first to do it?

Well, of course, Bridgemen started playing around with a variety of costumes (not just the guard) very early on. But if we're talking about the entire guard, my first memory of the entire guard wearing a costume, rather than a uniform that was at least some kind of variation on the corps uniform, was Garfield Cadets in 1984, with the entire guard wearing those "Maria"-style costumes of gold lamé blouses and white ruffled skirts.

Was it 1983 when SCV's guard looked like "Mary Popins?" They wore long dresses that opened up in the front along with a hat that looked like something from the late 1800s.

I'll have to go look at my pictures from that year.......it had to be either '83, '84 or '85.

in 1990 Bluecoats guard went back to being all female. I believe it wasn't until the late 90's that they returned to a coed guard.

Was it 1983 when SCV's guard looked like "Mary Popins?" They wore long dresses that opened up in the front along with a hat that looked like something from the late 1800s.

True. I thought of that costume, too. (And yes, you're right, the first year they wore that Victorian-style outfit was 1983. Thank God for the "Legacy" DVDs! You can just go right to the corps and see and hear what they were doing) But at least those colors were in keeping with the corps' colors of red, green and white. If we went with that example, then an earlier example we could cite would be Blue Devils' form-fitting 1981 bodysuit. It really didn't have much to do with the corps' uniform, but at least it maintained the corps' colors. And, if we go that route, then we can also point to Spirit's guard outfit in 1979 and '80, or Crossmen's black-and-white jumpsuit. What year did your guard start wearing that, '79 or '80?

An earlier guard uniform that was extremely dissimilar to the corps' uniform was the "Coke can" uniform worn by the Freelancers. I think they wore that in either '79 or '80. So, do we call that a uniform, or an outfit? Dunno.

The Cadets' "Maria" outfit is the first one I can think of that looked markedly different from the corps uniform, in that it seemed to be trying to portray a specific character, and the colors of the outfit did not really match those of the corps. (OK, their blouse was gold. But it was gold lamé, which has a very distinctive look and was quite different from anything worn by the corps proper.)

The Cadets' "Maria" outfit is the first one I can think of that looked markedly different from the corps uniform, in that it seemed to be trying to portray a specific character, and the colors of the outfit did not really match those of the corps. (OK, their blouse was gold. But it was gold lamé, which has a very distinctive look and was quite different from anything worn by the corps proper.)

Well, remember that it WAS the corps 50th anniversary...and the drums had gold shells.

Nothing like hitting you over the head, huh George? :P

Well, remember that it WAS the corps 50th anniversary...and the drums had gold shells.

LOL! You know, I'd never even thought of that. Duh! :silly: