What did happen to Suncoast Sound?

The only things shakin never used to shake before....

Things are good, what are you up to these days?

Cool, I do web development and windows programming in Orlando, and this year I am marching with Heat Wave (a senior corps here)... kinda strange picking up the beast after 14 years, but I will give it a go. Good to hear from you!

I don't know how you guys can air the dirty laundry like that. I would never do anything like that to someone I respected, like you claim you did with the director. Some stories aren't for us to know even if they are true. It doesn't do any good for the people that marched that year didn't know and this is just a wrong way to tell them. It's also disprespectful to the people who marched the year that you say they shouldn't have gone out on tour.

Edited by Lancerlady

Ok, hold the phone.

We have been nothing but complementary about the director that used HIS OWN MONEY to help field the corps. This particular person is not only one of the most honorable men I have ever met, but everyone who knows him and was a corps member under him has nothing but respect for him.

It's been fifteen years since this all happened. If the other members from that year don't know what happened to keep the corps on the road, they sure as heck deserve to by now.

Maybe so, but not in an open forum like this, I guess I was taught not to "air dirty laundry", no matter how much I respect George B.(our corps director), I would never discuss things he told me to any one concerning the folding of our corps. If they didn't know it already, they didn't need to know or ask the director themselves, that's the way I look at it.

Edited by Lancerlady

Well, that's fine for your case. However...

In the case of Suncoast, it's important that people know what happened. Why? So it doesn't happen again. It's not like this all went down last summer...it was almost fifteen years ago.

What I (and Marwan) have described is not speculation...it's fact. If, by telling the real story, we stop one folks from acting irresponsibly, then it's a (small) victory for everyone at Suncoast that was taken advantage of.

Hiding the truth from the corps doesn't do anyone any good. And heck, in our case this stuff wasn't a secret. People were curious and asked...and we told them. We also managed to dispell a few rumors along the way.

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield

On a side note, it's not the director's corps. It's the members corps! Congratulations on explaining the demise of a heck of an entertaining corps fellas! You've done a service to the activity by sharing your experiences.

I really get a sense that if someone had the means and the wherewithal to do so, you guys would welcome a rebirth of Suncoast Sound, no?

I ASSURE you, that is not the case with all now defunct corps.

The uniforms were originally donated to them from West Point and they added the gold cumberbund and probably some other small touches

I always thought that they were from the Air Force Academy. Oh well.

I think the uniforms were donated by one of the Air Force Academy graduating classes. They were very thick and definitely NOT designed for holding up a horn in the playing position, especially in high heat and humidity. And BOY, did they stink something awful after a performance.

I really get a sense that if someone had the means and the wherewithal to do so, you guys would welcome a rebirth of Suncoast Sound, no?

I certainly would!

Sr. corps, perhaps....or does Heat Wave fill that slot?

How about an Alumni corps....anything....pleeeeze??