How are your horns holding up? G vs. Bb

CozyChopsCom

Ya' don't necessarily have to mention your corps, but just how are the different brands doing in their grueling roadtests? Please note if it's G or Bb or in the key of Zappa. Age? Thanks!

Support those who support corpsdom ~ Paul Collins of The Brass Shop travels to many shows just for us. For repairs or sales: TheBrassShop@ATTglobal.net. (Unsolicited plug.)

Cozy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2002 Bluecoats are using a brand new set of Kanstul Bb sops, baris, euphs, and contras, as well as F mellos. From a players perspective, I couldn't be happier. I marched a couple of years on a DEG G contra prototype from the early 90s. This new Bb is a godsend. The horns are holding up nice and the detatchable contra bells are making it much easier to transport them without adding dents. The horns we are using have almost identical bore sizes of our previous G horns, so the sound is nice and purdy.   ;)  We hope you'll all enjoy the music we're making this summer.

Will RUBBLE Wells

Bluecoats C-O-N-T-R-A Line

00-02

I hear you on the Kanstuls Blooo..... this will be my second year playing a Kanstul at Spirit.  They are the best of both worlds:  Nice fat sound, but are easy to tune.

Those Kanstul Bb horns are sweet... the sops are like powerbore bugles, except without the entire bad intonation thing and being in Bb. I'm trying to get my corps to buy a set in a few years when we have money. lol

I have 2 Kanstul Baritone Grande's both still in good condition. Couldn't use the smaller version. the first valve slide sticks out too far and hit my neck. Bought my girlfriend/ now fiance a Kanstul mello and she LOVES it. Her Deg from the corps was falling apart. All horns are in G.

I remember my first time playing a bugle was with a DEG G baritone bugle. It was fun to play, but the B-flats are easier to tune. Much easier.

I liked playing on a brand new Kanstul baritone last season. Great, full, fat sound, but the first partial (Bb) was about 20 or 25 cents flat. The Kanstuls are a little more resistant than the DEG's or the Yammies, but I wouldnt call them stuffy.

The DEG Bb's are more free-flowing than the Kanstuls, but the horn is more pitch sensitive on the louder dynamic levels. Also, the 4th partial (D) above the staff is very flat.

I havent marched a whole season using the Yamaha's, but what I have played of them, they are a little too stuffy for my taste. Out of the three manufacturer's, they make the most resistant horn, but the pitch tendencies seem to be few and far between.

I'm playing on a DEG G soprano and I'm fighting with it all the time, especially on the G# and A on top of the staff.  I am pleasantly surprised with the valve action on the horn.  I bought a Schilke 12B4 to see if that would help out a bit.  I think a slightly brighter tone sounds good on a bugle.

I hadn't played a bugle for over 20 years, having only played trumpet since I stopped marching.

Be careful with the Kanstul Contra Bells.  We switched over at Spirit last year to the Bb Kanstuls and i think every bell got crinkled a little bit because of how thin they are.  Other than that the Kanstuls are awesome.

Beefy

The Kanstul baritones were well made horns. (Except for this one that didnt have all of the silver on it). The horns were great for outdoor use.

Those DEG G bugles from 99: Man, it seemed like you could throw those things up against a brick wall and it would come out unscathed. They sure were heavy enough.