How are your horns holding up? G vs. Bb

CozyChopsCom

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IN '01 I played on a Yamaha Bb Convertible tuba, with the G attachment. This horn was awful, has lots of issues with it, and the G converter wouldn't fit in the cases, so we had to take them out, sometimes they would get stuck, or they would get bent enough that they wouldn't fit all the way into the horn. Last season i started out with the same model of yamaha Bb no conversion kit. it sounded somewhat better. Then we switched to the Kanstul Bb...beautiful horn, great sound, liked the large bore...although they were a lot heavier and bigger than the yamahas (the Kanstuls came up past my belly button when set on the bell) it was defiently worth it, the sound of our line improved greatly. :lol:

I love my K-90! Takes all the abuse and just keeps going. :D Played a G Kanstul Grande for a season and hated it. Bell screws wouldn't hold and the lead pipe was like a dribble glass. Tried a Yomamaha 3v G convertable tuba. It spoke real well but was a pain to hold and the solder joints broke if you grabbed it wrong.

I have a 3 valve Deg bari which i okay, but I loved my old 2 valve king...it was loud and well balanced. My Deg has little issues like the tuning slide in the neck (UGG) and lossing the pearl buttons on the valves...all the time :(

but it is all worth it to just to stay with a G bugle ^0^

Kimela

I have a 3 valve Deg bari which i okay, but I loved my old 2 valve king...it was loud and well balanced. My Deg has little issues like the tuning slide in the neck (UGG) and lossing the pearl buttons on the valves...all the time :(

but it is all worth it to just to stay with a G bugle ^0^

Kimela

*sigh* My 2-valve DEG sop is fine, but I REALLY want a King like I played in '84. That was a SWEET horn...any horn that can get ME to play well is a great horn.

Too bad it couldn't've helped my marching...there are a couple of interval errors that haunt me to this day...ah well...

Sopranos will be fine in Bb or G why not have both in one corps?

I've heard some lines that have tried that; intonation "left something to be desired," to put it lightly. It's worse than bands with BBb and CC tubas playing together; the issue there is that the overtones don't line up, making intonation very difficult.

Mellos (if you are going "concert style" on us) should be in F

Bari/Euphs in C

Contras in BBb or C

I've never seen a concert euphonium in C, much less a marching bari/euph. As for contras, putting them in CC would require designing new horns, which would probably mean they'd be even more expensive for a while. Plus, I don't think the CC sound is what most brass instructors are going for. However, getting CC contras wouldn't be as hard as getting them in F! ;)^

I got a brand new DEG Dynasty soprano in 98 and it was a bag. As soon as I got it, we had to send it back because the company made the lead pipe wrong and it was sharp all the time. When I got it back, it worked well for awhile, but that summer we had to replace all the vavles due to horrible rusting and the valves were bent. We also had to replace the first and second valve slide. In 2000, we had to replace the vavles again for the same reasons. Not impressed at all, considering that I take extremely good care of my horn.

Fortunately, this upcoming season, I get to play a brand new Kanstul powerbore soprano. :D

yeah baby, Kanstul... ur gonna luv that horn. You ever get to play on one b4? its heavier sure.. but thats why it won't bend like ur DEG did. The sounds just powers through it.. i guess thats why they have a "powerbore".. hehe... :P

My common sense tells me that's gonna suck, but my common sense also leads me to decisions like dating flute players...

Dating a flute player is like riding a moped. It feels good, 'til somebody SEES you. ;)^

Haha Tony!

That was a good one, but thanks to flute players I got dates in high school!

See you at the open house...