How are your horns holding up? G vs. Bb

CozyChopsCom

Yeah, Kanstul's have held up way better than DEG's in my experience.  I've marched the stock kanstuls for 2 years, a brand new custom class powerbore for 2 years, and now i actually got to help tweak the design on the new axes.  So i'm pretty fond of those, i actually bought one for my regular gigs.

Can anyone in devs land confirm or deny the stuff I'm reading where they switched the trumpet bore to a .462 now?  And is that helping or hurting?  My common sense tells me that's gonna suck, but my common sense also leads me to decisions like dating flute players...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pleasantly surprised with the valve action on the horn.  

I have both a DEG G sop, and a Kanstul Powerbore, the valve action on the DEG is much lighter, so light in fact, that I get significant "bounce" when playing fast passages. :yikes:  I have no use for that horn. I may be just getting old, and cranky, because I used to like fast light valves, but nowadays give me smooth heavy springs.

Well, I'm very happy with my DEG "G" Soprano amplifier...I bought it in "98".....I felt a little too much resistance for my taste when I first purchased the DEG...so I contacted them, and they sent me a different soprano with the new lead pipe that is now on the "tune any note" DEG, they were just developing it at that time, it eliminated a lot of the resistance which was caused by the "gap"...it's held up great, fast action on the valves, and the service offered by DEG, is nothing short of "outstanding"...yeah, I've played Kanstul...the standard and the "Powerbore"..for me the DEG is a better instrument....

Bill

Kilties  :D

• 5 months later...

We marched DEG G contras this season. I did get a chance to play on a DEG Bb, and decided I'll keep my G. It's a little bit heavier, but the horn packs a lot of power. (And who doesn't get a kick out of marching one of the heaviest horns in DCI?)

Our G Dynastys were doing fine until Opening Ceremonies night when they set those #### fireworks off behind us. I was able to clean most of that crap off my euph with silver polish but you can still see some of the little black spots if you look at the back of the bell hard enough. Oh, and a lot of the finish came off of mine, but that's partly because we had a reverse horn carriage as compared to other corps. Usually when a person goes to standby/parade rest position, they hold the horn against their body so that the valves face left and the mouthpiece shank goes up the left side of your chest. We did it backwards, the reason being as I understand it is that our brass caption taught at Blue Knights in '98 when they had a one-armed mellophone player and they had to modify the whole hornline carriage to maintain a uniform look. Guess he liked it so much that it stuck. Only problem is that this puts your left wrist in direct contact with the larger parts of the horn for low brass players, and if you have a person (like me) that sweats a lot, you tend to lose a lot of finish from that part of the horn. If you've played bari or euph you can probably imagine what I'm talking about. Also had some bad finish-less spots around the valves themselves but I think that's typical for bari and euph players.

When I first started Drum Corps I used a Deg 2 valve soprano. Hated it because it didn't have a 3rd valve, but other then that it played well, good projection, little resistance.

When I "graduated" up to a bigger corps I borrowed a friends horn (He marched Magic of Orlando back in I think 1996 or 1997) and I don't remember much about the horn except when I got it was very dirty and it took me like 3 days to clean it.

My little time at Cadets in 99 I actually used a Crossmen horn didn't really pay much attention to it since I really felt like a fish out of water...

When I went to Brigs I started on the DEG "tune any note" soprano and got my thumb stuck in the saddle and broke my thumb. I then passed it off for one of the other sops that wasn't a "t.a.n." horn...................

HATED IT THE ENTIRE SUMMER!!!!!!!! I am use to playing on a custome Large Bore, 72 bell, reverse tunning slide, heavy weight Bach Stradivarious. Playing on that deg was like digging my Bundy Student trumpet out of the closet... ehhhhh

This past summer it was like a cornicopia (sp?) of horns for me... I started out on a Deg, the same horn I used for the most part in 2001. Then I borrowed a Power Bore from one of the other sops. Then Back to the Deg. Until about July when the guy who let me borrow his Power Bore bought another Kanstul this time a standard bore. I cleaned it up, worked the valves, added some bumpers on the slides, changed the pads and put new springs in (had them laying around from old horns). It played Great!!!!!!!!

As far as I am concerned If I never have to touch a Deg horn again I could die a Happy Man! I am in the market to buy a Kanstul Sop... but being a senior in college, those lovely school loans are begining to haunt me.

Kanstul is the way to go for me... I know a lot of people who like the Degs... and that is what it's all about... preference!

As for key relation... I like the G horns especially in the Sopranos obviously being a minor 3rd lower they are darker, however it feels like drum corps, when I hear "TRUMPETS, Take it back to measure 12" it feels like Marching Band... The Benefits for Bb horns... I could use one of my own horns and wouldn't have to spend $700 on a bugle... :lol:

DCA Should go all Kanstul... lol I know I am in a corps endorsed by Dynasty... and I think the Brass guy was upset with me when I said:

"Crappy Deg, wait... isn't that a Redundancy?"

Sorry guy, didn't mean anything by it...

It would be cool to see mixed horn lines... Going all Bb didn't really solve the problem of bringing over Marching Band people in my mind. Why not Some G, F, Bb and C instruments... I know some arrangers would go ape since they don't know how to hit "transpose" in Finale.

Sopranos will be fine in Bb or G why not have both in one corps?

Mellos (if you are going "concert style" on us) should be in F

Bari/Euphs in C

Contras in BBb or C

And people who say "#### it, it's a trumpet not a Soprano!"... Dude, aren't trumpets the "soprano" voice of the brass chior known as drum corps? Tubas, same thing... just say Basses if the word Contra offends you... Mellophones, cool... it would be nice to see more French.

Lover of the Kanstul,

Cullen

Its all good.I dont care what key its in.Personally,I love my 2 valve King(I still play one,everyone else plays 3 valve degs,feh).Multi keys would make the arrangers earn their money(which according to a certain someone on ramd,is the only reason they do what they do anyways,but I digress.) :lol:

Its all good.I dont care what key its in.Personally,I love my 2 valve King(I still play one,everyone else plays 3 valve degs,feh).Multi keys would make the arrangers earn their money(which according to a certain someone on ramd,is the only reason they do what they do anyways,but I digress.) :lol:

HIRE ME!!! I'll earn my money...

Cullen

I wonder when people are going to hire me?

Kanstul G baby. I don't know how old they are, they fairly old in most respects. But mostly in awesome condition. Great players they are. Easy to tune and all that has been said already. Never played a Bb one, other than my trumpet at here, but not in corps setting. I like em, we have some DEGs that we dont' use but keep as spares, dont' like em at all, they lighter sure, but they're weak feeling and i just don't like em.