Just Watched 1978 Legacy DVD

I have blocked this year out of my memory.

Mitch, I can send you a tape of the prelims show if you want to relive fond memories.... :P

A little Glinka, a little Shostakovich, a little "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky With Me"....

As soon as they brought out Shosta AND Do you wanna at the same time, we knew this would not be a banner year in Cavalier history!

*sigh* but i got to see Niagra Falls for the first time that summer :music:

I didn't know you Mitch but I always felt really bad for my friends who I had marched Norwood Park with........ Chris Theriault, Loren, Pudge, a few others, I don't know if Bob Shreffler marched that year.......... but I did always feel bad for them.

You know the fun thing to think about is how many Midwest corps we are reminiscing about. Kilties, Guardsmen, Blue Stars, Scouts, Cavies..Add in Phantom and almost half of the top 12 was found inside a 100 mile circle, and to think that back in those days the members were 80% local..

Things really do change, don't they?

• Like 1

I would have to agree, "Legend" was a POOR choice for a closer in 78, and I still feel the same way 25 years later.

We added it after the original closer was scraped, and also threw in the drum solo from Channel One for the same reason.

Don't get me started!

Did like Bridgemen though!

Rocketman - Old Pharte

ampssuck

Jump in man! Lets fight the 25 year old battles all over again! :P

Well, as I have stated elsewhere, 1978 was probably the most "open" season of all. Five corps had a legit chance at the top spot even going to the end of the season. All I know is, we went from .10 behind in Visual GE with a BAD prelim show to .40 behind with a considerably better finals show. Just who made that decision? You look at the recaps. Bias? Probably not (Sarcasm off)

Rocketman - I'm not bitter

ampssuck

1978 was my rookie year in BD. And earlier posters are correct - it was up for grabs.

One of my best memories of that year was taking fourth at Allentown Prelims and then winning the night show. The feeling when they announced the scores that night, from fifth place on up, was a wild combination of nervousness and release.

I think it was the first show we won that year.

1978 was my rookie year in BD. And earlier posters are correct - it was up for grabs.

One of my best memories of that year was taking fourth at Allentown Prelims and then winning the night show. The feeling when they announced the scores that night, from fifth place on up, was a wild combination of nervousness and release.

I think it was the first show we won that year.

Hey Chris,

Imagine how it felt to win prelims and then take third!! Actually, winning prelims was a huge thrill for me. That was one of the two times that year we beat everybody. Ive always treasured that, my little piece of immortailty! B)

I could be mistaken, but I think we won horns at DCI East. I recall everyone got all solemn, Elvord was giving speeches...we were back Baby!! lol! A month later our hornline took 14th in DCI prelims and 6th in finals!! Oh Well!

Edited by dans24103

I have blocked this year out of my memory.

Mitch, I can send you a tape of the prelims show if you want to relive fond memories.... :P

A little Glinka, a little Shostakovich, a little "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky With Me"....

As soon as they brought out Shosta AND Do you wanna at the same time, we knew this would not be a banner year in Cavalier history!

*sigh* but i got to see Niagra Falls for the first time that summer :music:

I didn't know you Mitch but I always felt really bad for my friends who I had marched Norwood Park with........ Chris Theriault, Loren, Pudge, a few others, I don't know if Bob Shreffler marched that year.......... but I did always feel bad for them.

Yup, I marched next to all these guys. There seemed to be a lot of guys who came from other corps that year. Not to get into it but there was a management upheaval after 77 and in the beginning of 78. This upheaval was quite apparent by the show that was given to us. Honestly, we had the talent to make finals but if you don't have the show........

The great thing about adversity while in a group setting, it does bring you closer together. We were all VERY close that year. In fact, this closeness kept the corp going through those tough years. The corp was VERY close to folding around the 80 - 81 season. Closer then most people think but that closeness kept the corp together PLUS our friends from the city of Rosemont came to the rescue. Thank goodness!

Bob aged out after the '76 season but I think his brother Steve marched that year. Not sure. He kinda came and went year to year.