Spock drums

jlhiatt

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santa Clara Vanguard in '87 is the first line to use 2 spocks that I can think of.

The Cavie Quadz may have had them in 87 as well. Maybe somebody can check with Bunco and verify this?

I remember Roger Brooks talking about when they first got spock drums. It was a BIG DEAL to get those drums. They had to re-drill them a few times to get the mounting right. He had a "swiss cheese" spock.

Also, a little OT for this thread, but I think 87 was the first year that Kevlar and Mylar showed up at Finals. At least SCV and the Cavies were using K-Falams.

I'd go along with the SCV reference in '81 as being the beginning of the "spock" era... :P

Other "spock-like' sounds came from the Offensive Lions in ....'79(?) who used five (I think) Octobans rather than tenors in their line. Kilts used mounted Octobans on their tenors (or snares?) in '78, and BD in '79 and '80 had two bongos, mounted on each snare.

FWIW, the Kilts in '78, though the show wasn't great, were ground breakers in a lot of ways. First DCI corps to go with grounded concert tymps, a set of congas on the front sideline, and a weird assortment of drums in the battery that went beyond the usual snare and tenor combos. In a lot of ways, the birth of the 'pit' as a series of grounded concert instruments.

Also, a little OT for this thread, but I think 87 was the first year that Kevlar and Mylar showed up at Finals. At least SCV and the Cavies were using K-Falams.

Vanguard was the only line that used Falams in '87. The Cavaliers and several other corps made the switch in '88.