Spock drums

jlhiatt

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have heard them called a "shot" drum, a "shock" drum and a "spock" drum. I see everyone in this thread, and a couple others about quads, are calling them "spock" drums. Has anyone else here heard the other terms, or have I been talking to people who need their ears cleaned out? :huh:

OK, I have heard them called a "shot" drum, a "shock" drum and a "spock" drum. I see everyone in this thread, and a couple others about quads, are calling them "spock" drums. Has anyone else here heard the other terms, or have I been talking to people who need their ears cleaned out? :wacko:

All kosher terms -- you might hear 'gock' as well. But spock seems to be the preferred term these days overall I'd say.

Other "spock-like' sounds came from the Offensive Lions in ....'79(?) who used five (I think) Octobans rather than tenors in their line.

'78 if I recall correctly. I remember the bizzare wedge shape of those 5 drums. They played them well and may have even used snare sticks for some parts (which was pretty bold at the time).

• 3 years later...

Wow, this thread has been closed for a bit, but it will be archived, so....

Generally, the shift toward quads and away from tris started in the early 80s. The General Butler Vagabonds had quads as early as 81. In 84 we marched 2 quints with 2 quads. We referred to the 6inch drums as "pop" drums.

The term I always heard was shot - I think that's a more Canadian thing. Spock seems to be the prevalent term.

The 1984 Garfield Cadets were the first to use two spocks -- as mentioned earlier.

I can second that on the Garfield Cadets being the first with two spocks in 84. I remember checking them out because they were so novel. Also, Cadets had the brushed Gold Pearls that season and they were just beautiful. I think that's still my favorite shade.

• 2 weeks later...

We always referred to the set as "tenors" (never quads or quints) and the 6 inch drum as the "gok" drum. I marched on the East Coast starting in 87 and everyone had them. I never heard the term "spock" drum until years later.