Sky Ryders

Thanks.

Nice to see my corps name on a post. I had a great time marching with the Sky Ryders on Baritone (88) and French Horn (89).

We always seemed to be liked by the crowds, and not so liked by some other corps that didn't always enjoy getting beat by a corps singing Do-Re-Mi and dancing around with large wooden notes. :rolleyes:

Gale

88-89 Sky Ryders

Gee I wonder WHO you could be referring to.... :P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few tidbits about 88 Sky Ryders:

If I am not mistaken, we had close to 90 rookies in that corps.

We started the season with around 8-10 holes in the brassline.

There were a total of 14 brass players at the February camp (when I auditioned).

We were pretty much in 15th place going in to semifinals (we went on last that night)

I remember getting beat by Crossmen by 3 points at the Wichita Ks show the Saturday before finals (pretty much a home show for us)

Rumor has it our Rainbow that sat in the back stands was stolen and burned that night...won't mention who is rumored to have taken it.

Seems like we didn't have ANY money that year....I seem to remember seeing some drum dudes cutting large plastic flower pots in to quarters to fashion them in to scoops for the snares.

Some notables from that corps-

Jed Weeks, SCV Brass Caption head the past few years

JD Shaw, Brass Arranger for Regiment

Steve McCartney, Visual Caption Head

for the Glassmen (not sure about this year)

Brett Hall, Brass Caption Head for Colts

Gale Rask (me), Brass instructor for The Cavaliers

There are more, I just can't think of them right now.

Gale

88-89 Sky Ryders

I might "know someone" who may know something about the "Rainbow Incident" :P

God I really miss drum corps eighties style. It was just so much fun!

Hey Gale-

I remember sharing a few moments with a alto player in 1988 at a McDonalds somewhere in Ohio following a show one night. Some of the nicest people I had ever met that year were from the Sky Ryders, and had it not been for the fact that we were competing agasint you all for the last spot in finals, I think we would have all had fun together.

I look back on the 1988 Sky Ryders as a group that deserved to be in finals, if not for anything but the hard work you put into your show all season (I seem to remember watching an impomtu marching rehearsal during warm-ups at Whitewater before you went on the field that night).

Now, I have no idea what happend to the Rainbow (god I hope that wasn't us, although I have heard "rumors" as well), but I think I can tell you about something involving a "note".... ;)

I think I may "know someone" who may know something about the whereabouts of said note. :sshh:

No one has mentioned 1989. I loved that show of Hindemith and Carmina Burana. Thought it was very nicely conceived. I was so disappointed when the corps did not make finals, but I bought the DCI tape so I could keep a record of that show. Not something I usually did.

1989 seemed to be the year of Carmina Burana, didn't it?

Loved the Sky Ryders show that year.

I wound up going out and buying a tape of Carmina Burana (with Seiji Ozawa conducting) thanks to Sky Ryders.

Wow! I love to hear about my corps!

I also marched 88 Sky Ryders (Hi Tim and Gale!).

I still get teary thinking about how that show and year was a part of my destiny.

I was a great show. "My Favorite Things" was a really cool arrangment and fun to march.

The drum solo was fun even though we didn't particularly like to 'stagger'.

By the way, the black snare player (mentioned in an earlier post) is my husband, Mickey Hartzog.

Met him that year. He is on the road with Pioneer for the 5th year.

I KNOW who burned the rainbow!!!!! If we weren't so MATURE here, I would Call it out!!!!

Miss thoses rivalries........I am almost over some of them :)

Really miss the Sky Ryders!!!!!!!

Pam

Mello 88

I always found Dave's instruction ability to be very good and additionally, he had an incredibly dry wit to him, so if you hung around him you were likely to hear someone get slammed out of the blue.

I know where David got that dry wit - his dad is LOADED with it. I've never heard him use it to slam anyone personally, but man can he do some editorial commentary! :) B)

The Missus and I, plus one our daughters, took a walk last night and we ran into Rev. Jewett, accompanied by son David, his wife and their two daughters, back here for a visit from Dubuque. We had a brief intense discussion on the activity, and David said he hadn't seen a DC show since '94. Sad but true. :(

David said he is doing well in seminary, passed his first year. :)

Didn't get to hear much about brother Dan, other than he was the SR director in the mid-80's and the forces behind the corps talked with him in the early 90's about bringing SR back, but apparently that did not work out.

Jewett Brother #3 didn't come up at all - I don't think I have met or heard about him.

That's about it - they're all doing well and looking good!!

Can I ask you one question about that show?? It's always bugged me.

During Lonely Goatherd, is there a ensemble tear during the contra feature? To me, it sounds like the pit had to actually stop playing for a moment, and come back in on the cymbal crash.

Not bashing or slamming, as I stated my opinion above, but I've always been curious.

I'm not sure what you mean by an ensemble tear. The mallets stopped playing on the final phrase of the contra feature, and the tympany plkayed the final phrase mirrored the contra part, which was followed by the cymbal crash.

I hope that helps.

Tim Kviz

Sky Ryders 85-88

Heh, 6 months later. :)

Thanks, Tim. To me, and to several of my friends, this has always sounded like a small ensemble breakdown.

Now I'll have to go home and crank up the DVD player again tonight. Not that the 88 Sky Ryders don't get heavy rotation in my player as it is... :)

And wern't you the guy yelling at the end? :)