Exersizes to Improve Range, Tone....etc

trumpets

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith's Top Tones is a good book. The Colin book is rough, but whatever works for Schipper, more power to him!!

Oh...and one more thing...follow the three strikes and you're out rule. If you try three times and miss, go to something else and come back to it. No sense in physical injury.

Edited by aubie

hahahahahahahahahaha

I just got an article sent to me by Dan Cook, a tpt teacher in Texas. His arguement isnt that you just "use more air" as we all were taught. He says it matters how fast/slow, and the volume of air. Ill just put the link in and share the wealth...http://www.sbomagazine.com/sbomag/dec03/performance.html

enjoy!

Two important, tiny details can improve your range immediately! The way you hold your horn: the best way to hold it (if you're not already...) is to have your pinky and ring finger of your left hand held UNDERNEATH your third valve trigger. By doing this you will even out the pressure on both your top and bottom lip. That way, when you get into the upper register, the pressure is getting placed more on the lower lip than the upper lip. It really does help ;)

Another tiny detail that most people over look when they are trying to 'improve their range' is tongue placement. A reason why lip slurres are told to help out your range is because of tongue placement. If you noticed, play a lip slurre and feel where how your tongue is moving. (if it isn't, then that is something to work on!). Your tongue will help out your lip slurres, which in the end will help out your range. Generally, for when I play anyway, I use my tongue in everything. It can help with tone as well!

Before I started focusing on these two things I could only play up to a D above the staff. But now after a month or two on really focusing on these two things, I've been getting my range up to GG. They really do help.

Also! Definitely, DEFINITELY follow the three strikes you're out rule!! You do NOT want to put yourself through ANY pain! :sshh: Good luck :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, Warm up nicely. Do octave slurs, i.e. E to E back down to E, F to F back to F, F# to F# back to F#, etc., playing 1/4 notes at about a 100 meter, REST 20 to 30 seconds between each octave slur.........when you reached you maximum range for the day (only try twice, if you do not hit the top note after 2 trys....time to put the horn away) Do the same routine the next day. You should be able to extend your range with patience and persistance.

This a good method that works for me except I try to play the note 3 times. I believe that was the Claude Gordon method. Also, try to play in the higher range if that is what you plan on doing. The key to the above method is resting between the octaves. and, you need breath support. You can't play any high notes, regardless of how talented you are, if you do not support the breathing.