Best Polish for SIlver Horns

ICANBEJUSTASEVIL

if thats going to take the silver off I would not use it....the Wrights is made for silver and will not ruin it... it runs about 3 bucks and its the best stuff Ive found....

As far as ruining the horn goes, I was not talking about the blackish film resulting from Blue Magic. I was refering to the black crud that cakes onto your horn when the horn reacts with (most commonly) your sweat. You do not have this problem? You must have horns that aren't really old with dents in them and stuff. That's my least favorite part: getting that black stuff out of the dents and scratches. <**>

Just to let you know...I (along with many of my comrades) have found that silver polish cloths don't work very well. On another point: If they are the only thing you are going to use, that's laziness.

drumstix-I've had your problem with the runniness too. At first it really puzzled me as to how to apply it better. What I do is pour out a bunch on top of the bell (when the bell is facing the ground of course), and I swipe a cloth across the top and start cleaning. When I need some more of that magic, I just swipe that cloth through it again until there is no more. Repeat as needed.

I prefer not to use wrights due to the 'H2O factor'.

Go Blue Magic. *straight from the label*: "Blue Magic Liquid Metal Polish. Safe and nonabrasive: Chrome, Aluminum, Copper, BRASS, Gold, SILVER, Stainless Steel, Fiberglass. Removes oxidation and tarnish." Included with other facts, on the back it states: "Leaves protective coating."

Edited by show_mellow

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as ruining the horn goes, I was not talking about the blackish film resulting from Blue Magic. I was refering to the black crud that cakes onto your horn when the horn reacts with (most commonly) your sweat. You do not have this problem? You must have horns that aren't really old with dents in them and stuff. That's my least favorite part: getting that black stuff out of the dents and scratches. <**>

i have had the black crud that has built up and I agree that it is hard to get out and that you should get it off asap.....Im sorry I misread your post....when you said it turns black...later you said if you dont get the black stuff off it will tarnish the horn or something to that effect...again I just misread it...

Just to let you know...I (along with many of my comrades) have found that silver polish cloths don't work very well. On another point: If they are the only thing you are going to use, that's laziness.

obviously you only read certain words in my post above because as I had said I use the silver polishing cloth after useing the wrights it adds a little bit a shine to it...

Next time read the post before you make a stupid comment about it and call someone lazy..... <**>

Edited by hiccups05

At Kanstul, we use Tarnex Silver Polish, diluted with about half product and half water. It goes on easier, dries faster and removes quickly leaving a gleaming silver horn. Don't polish your horn with a towel, instead use flannel or an old t-shirt.

For lacquer horns of course, DO NOT use silver polish or brasso. Just use liquid dish washing soap such as Dawn. Allow to drip dry, or use a soft cloth like flannel or an old t-shirt. Do NOT use terrycloth towels.

It's a good idea to give your horn a "bath" periodically. Use a plastic tub and the sprayer in your kitchen sink (unless you are on tour of course...we used to just do it in the shower) NEVER use hot or scalding water, only warm.

Maintain your horn well by emptying ALL water/moisture from your horn before storing. Use a swab for your mouthpipe EVERY DAY and oil the valves BEFORE you put it in the case. This will make your brass staff happy because you will always be ready to play. This will make your Board of Directors happy because the horns will last longer and retain their resale value.

Edited by oldschoolVK

I use Wrights. I've been using it on my silver trumpet at home for years. I've had for like.. 1..2 .. .. 9 years and the silver is as shiney as ever on it. When i clean it at least. But The those polishing cloths are bad. I know lots of people that have swirl scratched from constant uses of those "lazy" man cloths. I've used them as a touch up a couple times before a show. But I regret even doing it the couple of times.

obviously you only read certain words in my post above because as I had said I use the silver polishing cloth after useing the wrights it adds a little bit a shine to it...

Next time read the post before you make a stupid about it and call someone lazy..... <**>

Excuse me, but it was a general comment not meant for anyone in particular. Second of all, notice I said, "If it's the ONLY thing you are going to use, that's laziness." My statement does not directly call anyone lazy, but warns that you should take more care of your horn than simply using a silver polish cloth. In other words: Besides the fact that I never declared, "You, hiccups05, are lazy," you have stated that it's not the only thing you use, therefore that section of my post didn't need your attention.

I am slighted and do not appreciate your harsh and impetuous remarks. I can't help but notice your hypocriticalness. I shouldn't be the only one around here reading the post before I "make a stupid" about it.

On another note: I can understand how you, hiccups05, got confused about the blackness on the horn.

My hornline also showers with our horns on tour.

Edited by show_mellow

Ya we use Twinkle all the time in our corps too... It works about 100% better than Silvo which is what we used to use...