Best Polish for SIlver Horns

ICANBEJUSTASEVIL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you wouldnt believe it but toothpaste works on silver. i am serious try it. i am not sure how it affects the silver but if it doesnt ruin teeth i am sure it wont ruin silver. i had some old platters that were a nice bronze color and alittle toothpaste made them shine more than my new yamaha euph. thanks queer eye for a straight guy. man i love that show.

Edited by dragonhunter

but some dude in Royal-Airs had this stuff in a spray can that I tried. It worked really good but I can't tell ya the name of it to save your life.

I use "Hagerty Silversmith's spray polish". Maybe that's what you used? Blue can.

Mary's Ultra tone Is closer to 32 years old and looks like new. Of course it sat around not being used for 25 years until Dream started... :)

Edited by DreaminDan

use Wright's...i'm an obsessive compulsive polisher...even when i don't have a performance, my horn will always be the best looking horn in the hornline, and wright's is the way to go...that's all

All silver polishes will eventually do this, but Wright's can make a little faster work of actually removing the silver plating on your horn. I know this; this is happening to my concert tuba, so I stopped using Wright's and switched to Silvo.

use Wright's...i'm an obsessive compulsive polisher...even when i don't have a performance, my horn will always be the best looking horn in the hornline, and wright's is the way to go...that's all

All silver polishes will eventually do this, but Wright's can make a little faster work of actually removing the silver plating on your horn.

thanks...i'll try something else...i used to use hagerty's silver foam, but i got really tired of working it into a foam before putting it on my horn...it just took way too long, and i polish my horn entirely too often to go through that every time...but, for those of you (including myself, sometimes) that are feeling extremely lazy, try hagerty's silversmithing gloves...the polish is in the gloves, and when you have to wash them after using them for a while, you spray the polish back on...it lasts a really long time...i use them during breaks at rehearsals to get rid of the spit stains on my bell...(like i said...obsessive-compulsive)

hey guys, what about brasso?? just playing, dont be dumb,and use brasso.

hahaha...we actually had a tuba player in our band that insisted that brasso worked on her "silver" horn...wow, i don't think i've ever seen my band director turn that red...and he's bald, so the top of his head started turning purple, he yelled at her so long...and she turned purple trying to finish her pushups (65)...then we looked in our records of all of our school horns, and it turned out to be nickel...that was a funny day...i've never seen him look so scared of a student in my entire life...but, seriously, our band room, and the hallway outside of it, and the bathrooms next to it, and our instrument room (and some of our cases) smell like brasso all summer long, and into january...there's really no point in polishing some of the school horns, because there's really nothing to polish, and our school's only got 1 silver mello that i donated, one 37 year old silver french horn, and one nickel-plated tuba...the rest are brass...i'm really far off-topic now, so i'm going to shut up...

I used wrights most of the season last year, personally for me it was a pain because I got it all over the place and could never get it out of the small cracks in the horn. I tried mothers mag and aluminum polish and that worked pretty decently.

This year though I took the time to contact the brass shop guy to see what he said. He suggested silvo, and had it sent to me. It's like $5.00 for a can, and it's just like a liquid I use an old shirt to put it on and wipe it off. It cleans and shines the silver. It works so much better than wrights in my opinion. It's so shiny too, I love shiny objects. So Silvo is what I recommend.