2 Percussion Rules Proposals

MikeN

it isnt just todays drill...i hit a judge in 1989. i wish i could say i aimed, but i didnt.

it happens. one of the biggest problems is judges dont keep their peripheral vision going and focus in and block the world. or, in a few cases, are very out of shape and shouldnt be out there.

keep a judge on the field. add one up stairs. make the caption mean something again.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't hear well enough in the stands to judge any sort of execution so a judge has to be on the field. The idea of no judges sucks big time. People are not going to pay out $85 bucks to watch a corps with no winner. Judges belong on the field with a safety halo as in football.

I don't think it's all about hearing either. If I'm not mistaken, the perc. Judge is also looking at basic fundimentals in the rudiments being played, stick height, consistency in where the drum is being played (location of the hit on the head). Is this not true?

I think with not having a judge on the field, the percussion as a whole can get away with a lot of things, like pretending to play something they're not. And I say this because my HS did it!

Here's my solution, give the judge a headset with someone in the press box keeping eye. If/when a drill starts to get cavie, then the guy in the box can direct the judge where to go. Now I don't know if something like this would actually work as there is already a lot of sound going into the judge's ears that he may not be able to hear what comes out of an ear piece.... but it could work.

And having a percussion ensemble judge is a great idea.

Edited by bari_benzo

I have been watching the 2003 DVDs with the percussion judge

audio and percussion camera angle and I've got to say my

reaction has been just how much of the show does this judge

miss due to concentrating on "getting out of the way".

Try putting a stop watch on it. You might be shocked at just

how much of the 11+ minutes is really not being judged.

I also made me wonder how much of his score can be

influenced by what he may not have seen while trying to

move out of the way??

The safety factor and interfering with the show's visual are

two more reasons I would say...put him on the sideline.

I have been watching the 2003 DVDs with the percussion judge

audio and percussion camera angle and I've got to say my

reaction has been just how much of the show does this judge

miss due to concentrating on "getting out of the way".

Try putting a stop watch on it. You might be shocked at just

how much of the 11+ minutes is really not being judged.

I also made me wonder how much of his score can be

influenced by what he may not have seen while trying to

move out of the way??

The safety factor and interfering with the show's visual are

two more reasons I would say...put him on the sideline.

But you also have to understand that every judge doesn't see everything that's going on during the 11+ minutes of show, even from the stands. It's all a gamble.

nor does he comment for all 11 minutes. at finals, he shouldnt be saying a lot, at least in the area of performance. if he is, thats bad for you on his sheet.

and i dont remember seeing any serious close calls on drum cam this year

nor does he comment for all 11 minutes. at finals, he shouldnt be saying a lot, at least in the area of performance. if he is, thats bad for you on his sheet.

and i dont remember seeing any serious close calls on drum cam this year

In response to that, I would like to say...you should have seen the semifinals and quarterfinals performances. The Finals night judge I think did a great job of being aware, but I know the the night before at least the judge got caught in the Boston form of death.

Also, I find it very distracting as a spectater when there is a person jumping around in the middle of a very intricate form development. I remember DCI Midwestern last year, I went with 3 first-timers and they all pointed out how distracting the drum judge was.

That being said, I still see the necessity for him to be out there. He is, in fact, a "performance" judge. So, as far as that rule goes, I disagree, he can't be up in he stand.

As far as the other rule goes, I would looove for there to be a separate front ensemble judge. True, no judge can judge EVERYTHING, but it really bothers me that a percussion trophy and a portion of the overall scores are based on someone who watched one small section (snares) for almost 70% of the show. I mean there are some crazy tympanists that never get any credit becuase the percussion judge is busy pointing out the dropped sixteenth by one of the snare drummers. Honestly, as far as percussion judging goes, the front ensemble could just play the ballad and tacit the rest and most judges would know any better. It bothers me.

My .04

Troy