Boston, 1984

I've read in other threads that BAC actually used A+E, in some form, during their 1984 show. Can somebody elaborate, specifically on to what extent (if any) they were penalized for using illegal instrumentation? Thanks.

Moved to Historical Discussions forum.

As I've heard it told, I thought it was '85, and they used a synthesizer to play Axel F (Beverly Hills Cop theme) - they were penalized either 1.0 or 2.0 at each show in which it appeared?

I'm sure someone'll fill in more detail on here...

:)

Mike

Boston did use a Synth in semi-finals 1985 to play the Axel F drum solo. They had made semi's, but clearly had no shot to make finals. So they decided to spice up the day and plug in. They received a 2.0 penalty as per the rules for illegal equipment. I believe they lost a spot in the placements because of it.

At the next congress DCI raised the penalty to disqualification and forfeit of the contest fee, so that ended any further forays into electronics.

Boston did use a Synth in semi-finals 1985 to play the Axel F drum solo. They had made semi's, but clearly had no shot to make finals. So they decided to spice up the day and plug in. They received a 2.0 penalty as per the rules for illegal equipment. I believe they lost a spot in the placements because of it.

At the next congress DCI raised the penalty to disqualification and forfeit of the contest fee, so that ended any further forays into electronics.

Man...that's harsh!

No kidding Sam...sheesh DCI, they were just acting on what they saw in their crystal ball. Didn't have to go get all serious on them...

And BTW, it was a COOL drum solo...synth and all.