Remember When....

What about crying? I always see people crying now, I find it annoying. Why not put that much emotion into your show?

I can one up ya on that. At a show a couple years ago I watched in horror as right before the hornline warmed up on the field, the guard walked around giving "Huggies" and "Kissies" to each other before setting up! Bleeaaagh ampssuck

Maggie Belle, I saw that in 1980 and was appalled. I saw it on video only and was horrified. I actually did think of you and what you would think and say!

But wow, you're right, it is very kissy, huggy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oldtimedrummer--you made me remember some mid-70's to early-80's drum line

old school recollections!!

remember??

That era's "atypical" drum line member, e.g.

--74 Phantom Regiment concert snare in the marching snare line

--75 27th Lancer Chime player (lost the mallet one time and played with his

knuckles)

-- timbale/bongo player (79 Blue Stars we called this guy the "drum plug")

cymbals with a "spinner" instead of a strap?

snares with a strap so they were canted (with Frank Arsenault "high sticking")?

76 Blue Devils with the "UFO" triple tenors?

77 Spirit of Atlanta quintoms??

78 Seneca Optimist conga/bongo lines??

Here's a question for the rest of you non-drumming types..................................

Having been a bass drummer for the Cavaliers, I got to play that walking beat off the field. It's actual title is "Iowa". Did you have a "name" for that beat?? The best alternate title I have ever heard was "Sneakers in a Dryer!!!"

Also one more question for the "non-p.c." fans...................................................

One of the most hilarious parts of marching drum corps was the nicknames that you gave to other corps. Would you mind listing some of your favorites?? Here's some of mine:

Santa Clara was always known as "Christmas Tree"

Bridgemen were "The Bananas"

Madison was called "The Masculine Scouts" or "The Dancing Bears"

Phantom Regiment..................."Random Sediment"

Blue Stars..............................."Blisters" "Blah Stars"

Cavaliers................................."Cavities" "Can of Beers"

Racine Kilties............................"Obscene Filthies"

Spirit of Atlanta........................."Sperm of a Llama"

go on, you know you want to list them, and you know it's all in jest...............

oldtimedrummer--you made me remember some mid-70's to early-80's drum line

old school recollections!!

remember??

That era's "atypical" drum line member, e.g.

--74 Phantom Regiment concert snare in the marching snare line

--75 27th Lancer Chime player (lost the mallet one time and played with his

knuckles)

-- timbale/bongo player (79 Blue Stars we called this guy the "drum plug")

cymbals with a "spinner" instead of a strap?

snares with a strap so they were canted (with Frank Arsenault "high sticking")?

76 Blue Devils with the "UFO" triple tenors?

77 Spirit of Atlanta quintoms??

78 Seneca Optimist conga/bongo lines??

Here's a question for the rest of you non-drumming types..................................

Having been a bass drummer for the Cavaliers, I got to play that walking beat off the field. It's actual title is "Iowa". Did you have a "name" for that beat?? The best alternate title I have ever heard was "Sneakers in a Dryer!!!"

Also one more question for the "non-p.c." fans...................................................

One of the most hilarious parts of marching drum corps was the nicknames that you gave to other corps. Would you mind listing some of your favorites?? Here's some of mine:

Santa Clara was always known as "Christmas Tree"

Bridgemen were "The Bananas"

Madison was called "The Masculine Scouts" or "The Dancing Bears"

Phantom Regiment..................."Random Sediment"

Blue Stars..............................."Blisters" "Blah Stars"

Cavaliers................................."Cavities" "Can of Beers"

Racine Kilties............................"Obscene Filthies"

Spirit of Atlanta........................."Sperm of a Llama"

go on, you know you want to list them, and you know it's all in jest...............

Heh....

Spewie inside Santa (Spirit)

Scar on my Banana (Star)

SpewCoats (Bluecoats)

Just off the top o' my head.

That's hilarious....................... :P

C'mon, I know there's more out there--don't make me start with the x-rated versions!!!

There's nothing wrong with being old school. But two of the best are Jim Jones founder of the troopers and Gale Royer founder of the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Can anybody beat these two? I don't think so. Thanks, Old Dutch Boy Cadet

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit of an older thread but I HAD to revive it!!!!

Yo JOJO!!! I remember this, but we were told to look so arrogant that everyone felt like they were trash as we looked through them

I remember one of my first shows with the Freelancers in '89. We were marching over to meet the hornline for some warmups and I saw some friends in another corps and I smiled at them. My section leader chewed my BUTT for smiling at them! By the end of June I had learned how to do that "stare." (I remember being frequently told "Y'all so SO MEAN!!!" My reply was "No dear, it's called HARD SELL!")

PLAY BALL!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't march corps until the late 80'd, but did marching band beginning in '81.

1. Color guards - What you marched on to the field with is what you used during the entire show.

2. After inspection, if you were anywhere in the line of sight of the judges, you were at attention.

3. Drum lines did elevator drills.

4. If you dropped something on the field, it stayed there.

5. High mark times - done correctly.

6. You played actual songs. Not snippets or over-arranged interpretations.

7. High mark times - done correctly.

8. Marching instructors who dared you to be the one that screwed up a company front.

9. Marching instructors who didn't care you were learning new music. You had better still march the drill correctly.

10. Horn instructors who didn't care you were learning new drill. Your best bet was to play the music correctly.

11. And oh yeah, HIGH MARK TIMES - DONE CORRECTLY!

Edited by EKBari

27th was pretty disciplined and intense, and I remember a lot of things that were mentioned, but some were more 70's, than 80's when I marched.

One thing that really impressed me at some show in the early 80s was, if I recall correctly, SCV's drum major calling corps ten hut! and the whole corps coming to attention where they stood - in the stands, out of the range of sight of the drum major. Snap! It was other worldly, and totally cool, imo. Sends a shiver up my spine to think about.

Thinking about the various things posters have said on the board and in this thread, about "old school" I got a strong feeling that I was right on the border, between the old and new "ways." I remember some of the older marchers making a lot of comments about how it was back a few years ago, and seeing a film of drum corps just a few years old, say 75 compared to when I marched which was 81 to 85.

It's funny, now that I think about it there were some aspects of my marching band which were more drum corps than the drum corps I marched in - color pre and playing "real" march music. It must have trickled out of d&bc to band, while d&bc was evolving.

I liked LancerFi's constructive statement, that some things never change, like the dedication and hard work. I had the pleasure of observing SCV's march camp, and the staff was workin' em. Seriously.

There was less cursing than when I marched :), but people were doing push ups for screwups, and the pressure was being applied, especially to the horns from what I could see. Horn staff Key, Gino and company knew how to cajole the horns to get the right sound alternating a gentle sarcasm with some joking - I thought "ah, things haven't changed a bit". Conversely, the drumline instructors were really laid back and friendly to the line - giving pointed but fairly gentle constructive criticism. Being a snare drummer, I kept thinking how intense our rehearsals were in terms of pressure not to tick, but, I also felt the SCV staff treated the members more like "professionals" giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The marching rehearsal was interesting to me - the instructors worked 'em hard, and there was strict rehearsal discipline. They practiced the SCV-style attention, parade rest, dress center etc positions, and were very strict about getting it exactly right. The drum major kept control at all times, and there was no messing around. That was one tired group after a day of work.

Sheesh that was long. Anyway, true, the style might be a bit (a lot?!) different but, I still love drum corps with all its warts.

Edited by RickCogley