Mellophone or French Horn...

Rocketman

Well, I have to admit that, in my opinion, a good french horn player is worth any three mellophone players (this coming from a former mellophone player). That being said, from a tone stand point, I prefer the mellophone. To me the french horn sound is a bit nasal and with the fast pace of visual programs today, I would find it almost impossible to play one. Mellophones can wail like nobodys business, but they can also overpower the rest of the brass line if not careful.

When I auditioned for Regiment my first year Jim Wren asked me what I played and I told him "mellophone," he looked right at me and said, "not any more."

Fact is, of the 63 horns we marched that year, 2 were mellophones. His disdain for mellophones continued the remainder of my career as the following season there were none. To make matters worse, in 78 & 79, we marched what I consider to be the worst horn ever made, alto's. Thank God I didn't have to play one.

Enough ranting.

What's your position.

Rocketman

ampssuck

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the french horn sound in a corps horn line. Although, as was previously mentioned, they sound good running around.

Blue Devils did not marched mellophones from 81-85 (flugles and french horns). There was a brief moment in 84 where the lead flugles were on mellophones, but apparently that wasn't the sound Wayne and Jack were looking for.

i'm assuming you mean marching french horn...if so please explain how much of a difference it it

and p.s. moving to brasss forum

I loved PR's sound with french horns in the line. the mellos were rippin', no question, but the frenchies provided that "backbone" to the corps sound.

I miss that sound. Oh well. :wacko:

My five years with madison, 73-77, we marched no mellos, and large french horn sections. Our arranger, Ray Baumgart, was a firm believer in the unique texture it added to the "Madison sound" of that era. I agree that in today's "on the run" drills, large french horn sections are not feasable for Junior Corps. Seniors and Alumni corps have a place for them; Renegades are the good example..........

we marched 4 mellos and 8 frenchies my last year '78.

I am sure someone will want to KILL me for this but let me say, I played french horn for all my juniors and in Kilties senior. The last two years, I played mello.

I don't think the frenchie has a place in today's drum corps. There aren't enuf people who know how to play it, number one, and the drills they do know would freaking kill you trying to play on that little mp.

JMHO.

(french horn player since age 8 and for life but not on a football field anymore, sorry)