Mellophone/Trumpet mouthpiece

mellopet

I play trumpet and mello, and for this season I just used my favorite trumpet mouthpiece (my first year on mello). But I noticed that mouthpieces are labelled specifically mello online. I tried the school mello mouthpieces and HATED them- the tone was fuzzy and not as loud. They are something like yamaha, labelled 30 D 7 or 3 D 7, i am not sure.

I just wanted to know what mello players preferred what mouthpieces and if it is detrimental to play with a trumpet mouthpiece?

I played Mello last year. For the first few camps I used a trumpet mouthpiece until I got my hands on a UMI Mello 6 'piece, which is essentially a copy of the infamous Benge Mello 6. This is a superior mouthpiece, and I would highly recommend getting one if you are going to continue on Mello.

It's not detrimental for you to use a trumpet mouthpiece, but the Mello 6 is deisgned for playing Mello. IMO, you get a better tone with it and it's easier to play.

It's also been my experience that mouthpieces that are made by the instrument companies aren't the best mouthpieces to play on...take that for what its worth.

Hope this helps you!

I think one of them is a little smaller. I htink one of the Bandette mellos uses a cornet mothpiece but has to tape it in. So I think a trumpet mouthpice is a little bigger than a mello and a little more bigger than a cornet. But thats just what I overheard ans I'm not a mello player.

Sop. mouthpieces are acceptable. However, to bring out the color that was/is intended by the mellophone I think before this thread is finished you will find the proper mouthpiece is the 6V. The 7c , 14A-4A, and the likes are easier to play and give you range but not the right timbre. Strictly my opinion.

Mellos are similar to Cornet mouthpieces. Which, unknown to most players, is completly different from trumpet mouthpieces. Cornet mouthpieces open up more at the base of the Cup and open up more as they taper into the horn. And are Deeper cups than the standard trumpet cup. Mellos MPCs are shorter in lentgh, but taper much the same as a trumpet mouthpiece, but have a deeper cup than a trumpet mouthpiece. They were designed to play Low to mid range beautifully, but take more air pressure than some trumpet mpcs. I think they are simlar to Flugel MPCs too, When i play flugel in jazz band or marching band I use a Flugel mouthpiece to aid in the depth of the sound, a trumpet MPC cuases it to go brighter, and have a more prominant projection, which its supposed to blend into the texture. Most of the guys in the Jazz bands, and our mello phones use trumpet mouthpieces because it requires less adjusting and easier to feel on the lips.

I used a Benge Mello 6 and a UMI Mello 6 the 2 years I played mello.

They produce a much nicer sound than a sop mouthpiece.

I dare say the UMI produced a much better sound than the benge, but that's my opinion.

I play an E-Z tone 6, also from UMI and a copy of the benge mello $6, it was worth the $25 plus the $30 to get the rim and cup gold plated. It sounds a lot better than a trumpet mouthpiece. The deeper cup allows for a darker sound.

as for the maker of the horn not producing a good mouthpiece, there is an exception and that is bach, they make a beautiful trumpet mouthpiece.