your first horn....

gothighnotes86

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pan-Am that I got at an antique shop for $40...it's about as old as my dad...still have it.

I had a Brass Bach student model that my school rented to me when I was in 4th and 5th grade.... then my parents bought me a Schilke MII I liked it but not as much as the horn I have now.

Olds student trombone bought through the elementary school in 1965.

Payments were $7 a month for 24 months for a grand total of $168 or you could buy it for $150 up front. b**bs Next year the price went up to $159 (talk about inflation). And yes I still have it. B)

Blue Devils B - piston rotar soprano and piston rotar mellophone

Once I got the P/R thing down, we got the A corps two valve sopranos......I had to relearn all over again...[ sigh ]

Some POS trumpet that my Dad got from a pawn shop because he was convinced that I wouldn't stick with it past the first year. I don't even remember the brand.

I started on an old Conn trumpet that was my cousins. It's a POS...I can't hardly play it any more because it's just so wacky! But I still have it. After 2 or 3 years on that one I ended up on the same cousins Holton MF intermediate trumpet. It was ok.... I finally got a new Yamaha in high school which I still play on... I used the Holton for awhile in marching band until I outgrew it, so I went and bought a King Cleveland at a pawn shop and sold the Holton to a friend. The King's a good horn, except that whoever the previous owner was replaced the 1st and 2nd valve slides and the 2nd valve slide doesn't quite fit...for at least 2 years after I cleaned it I could (and regularly did in pep band) blow it off the horn while playing! :silly: I'm not going to clean it again!

Olds ultratone v-r baritone.Made a nice lamp. :P

Selmer-Bundy Student trumpet - still works great, but can't blame the bad sound on the horn.

In drum corps, started with an old valve/slide horn, can't remember the mfg. But two months later, we got Olds Duratone valve/rotors - I still remember the new smell when I opened the case! I know where those horns are today, and would really like to get that horn back for my collection.