Someone needs to teach her a lesson!

In Teal Sound's guard ((which I'm apart of)) a girl was on the FIFTY at the end of the openner and dropped ((but, we all drop)), and supposedly recovered. Yet, when she recovered, she stopped preforming! One of our instructors said she was frowning, pouting and started to CRY during our performance!! :lol: And she's wanting sympathy, just because she hadn't seen her mom in one month? What would y'all have said to her about her performance? I bit my tongue, because I started talking, I'd never stop! Supposedly, if she would have performed, we would have done much better.

Did anyone see the Orlando show at the Citrus Bowl? I'd greatly appreciate any review about Teal's guard that night! :D

In Teal Sound's guard ((which I'm apart of)) a girl was on the FIFTY at the end of the openner and dropped ((but, we all drop)), and supposedly recovered. Yet, when she recovered, she stopped preforming! One of our instructors said she was frowning, pouting and started to CRY during our performance!! :lol: And she's wanting sympathy, just because she hadn't seen her mom in one month? What would y'all have said to her about her performance? I bit my tongue, because I started talking, I'd never stop! Supposedly, if she would have performed, we would have done much better.

I'm a little surprised you wouldn't be more supportive of someone from your own corps "family" than this.

Maybe after she recovered, she couldn't remember the work.. (we all draw complete blanks) -- maybe she got upset about that because she KNEW it would effect the rest of the show..

Maybe she misses her mom a lot because her mom is the only person she's ever been able to talk to..

maybe it would be cool for someone in her guard to go up to her and tell her "it's okay.. we all make mistakes" and offer a shoulder.. or a friendly ear to bend... to help her get over her homesickness?

Ya think?

It would be very easy for you to be mean in this instance and make a negative comment or two. But maybe it wouldn't be the best response. I mean, the girl can't be all bad--she's chosen to join your corps, right? She must have reasonably good taste. If you and everybody else is nice to her, she'll get over her homesickness and probably become a very strong member of your group. It's called personal growth--drum corps tends to bring that out. She'll grow up a little and you'll all be better off.

I saw the Orlando show, incidentally, and I didn't even notice the drop. It wasn't because I was ignoring your show, so it must not have been that big of a deal. I wasn't at field level--I was way up in the stands, and it's a different show up there.

;)^

By the way, it's good that your pit is rocking out to your show, but that one guy needs to get it under control. Grooving is one thing, but man...that cat is too much.

In Teal Sound's guard ((which I'm apart of)) a girl was on the FIFTY at the end of the openner and dropped ((but, we all drop)), and supposedly recovered. Yet, when she recovered, she stopped preforming! One of our instructors said she was frowning, pouting and started to CRY during our performance!! :lol:  And she's wanting sympathy, just because she hadn't seen her mom in one month? What would y'all have said to her about her performance? I bit my tongue, because I started talking, I'd never stop! Supposedly, if she would have performed, we would have done much better.

I'm a little surprised you wouldn't be more supportive of someone from your own corps "family" than this.

Maybe after she recovered, she couldn't remember the work.. (we all draw complete blanks) -- maybe she got upset about that because she KNEW it would effect the rest of the show..

Maybe she misses her mom a lot because her mom is the only person she's ever been able to talk to..

maybe it would be cool for someone in her guard to go up to her and tell her "it's okay.. we all make mistakes" and offer a shoulder.. or a friendly ear to bend... to help her get over her homesickness?

Ya think?

That's my wife !!!! How F-in' cool is she , huh ??? :D

Proud hubby, G

Wow. I am physically stunned. You must be a disgrace to your guard. I feel sick that I even read this post. I'll have to get a video and watch your amazing performance. I have no idea who you are, but I'll look for the person that performs the entire show without any mistakes.

Confidence is what makes a guard diva and cohesiveness makes an amazing guard.

Some of the top division 1 colorguards have members that have had breaks in their show. But because they have confidence they don't dwell on one mistake (no matter how big the break or their field position at the time) and instead focus more so that the same thing won't happen at the next show.

If you say something to this girl and show no compassion for her situation whatsoever, you will only being taking down her confidence in herself (something that is vital in a great performer) but also her confidence in the guard that she is a part of. And if one member doesn't feel confident in her guard then the cohesiveness is not there and the guard will never perform as a team. Instead you will have a few perfect divas, some middle of the road performers and members who mess up EVERY show (yes every show) due to lack of confidence (because the worse you feel about yourself the worse you perform).

When she steps out on that field she needs to feel like she belongs there and that she is a member of a team and then she will give the best performance. And it's the job of members of the guard she is a part of to make sure she feels this way. It's not your job to make her feel horrible for a mistake she's made in the past.

A guard is only as good as it's weakest member -- period.

If she sucks, you all suck. Sounds to me like your guard needs an attitude adjustment because I'm sure you didn't develop this perspective in a bubble. Your guard has two choices: help her accept the mistake, learn to keep her composure, learn the work, solve the problem whatever it is ... OR you can suck all season as a unit. Everyone breaks at some point. Have you asked yourself what happens if YOU break in a performance and what your guard will think of you? Wouldn't you expect some support from your guard kin? :lol:

You Go JoJo! I agree. There's not a worse feeling (to me) than watching an entire guard and focusing on one or two weaker people than watching the "star". I cought myself doing that a few times yesterday at Concord.

Wouldn't we all just love it if our entire guard is flawless (well, then you'll have to deal with egos, but that's another issue), but it's rare to have a flawless guard...unless you're '93 Cadets of Burgen County. So the best solution to me is that you help the weak and take care of your own business. Leave the critiques to the judges.

-Reese's Mom