The DCI Yearlys: 1990

Hi All - Being that I found the 'Santa Clara 1984' thread so interesting, I thought I would start yearlys threads. I think we could do one year from the 70's, 80's, and 90's each week, and tack on the 2000's at the end.

My experience with drum corps began in 1984 and I would just like to hear from those who experienced drum corps during different years, whether member, staff, support, or spectator. I think it is fun to talk about the "old days" and learn things about them you may have never known (like the 'Santa Clara 1984' thread).

So, I am hoping that all of you that experienced drum corps in 1990 will share your memories. Next week, I will start a 1991 thread and move through the 90's each following week.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember 1990 as one of DCI best years, especially the fierce battle among the top 6. The first show I attended in 1990 was DCI Midwest in Whitewater - where two unbeatens (Phantom and BD) came with the hopes of being the only unbeaten corps remaining. I was so hyped to attend this show (it's rare to get a battle between two undefeated corps in mid-season) and the fact that the Cavies were there was another bonus. I was shocked when I came into the stadium and all the talk and hype from the people around me was not about the Phantom Regiment, the Blue Devils, or the Cavaliers for that matter, it was about the Star of Indiana.

I had known that Phantom narrowly defeated Star at DCM Finals the week before, but strong starts and slow finishes were nothing out of the ordinary when Star was concerned. They beat everyone in 1988 accept BD and SCV, and landed in 7th. In 1989 they beat everyone but SCV and landed in 6th. I had no reason to believe that a 2nd place finish at DCM (which they also accomplished in 1988 and 1989) was anything special. However, those that had seen Star at DCM said this is not the Star we are used to - that Star had grown up. One staff member of the Jr. Scouts said he would be stunned if come finals Phantom, BD, or the Cavies beat Star. He said their brassline and drill was simply amazing - that they are the corps to beat for the DCI title.

During finale, the crowd was shocked when both unbeatens fell to the Cavies. It was a shocking and wonderful night - after 1989 "anyone in the midwest but Phantom" was my motto. I love Phantom, but considered them my biggest rivals and did not want them top the midwest come finals. I knew, that night, that Phantom or BD would likely never beat the Cavies again. The Cavies show was that much better and they were performing it wonderfully. I left the stadium wondering if it would be a Cavies/Star showdown at finals.

I went to finals that year knowing that Star had finally beaten SCV and was in the thick of things. Their performance in Quarter-Finals blew me away. Instantly, it became one of my all time favorite shows - and still is. I was so thrilled come finals night when they won high brass and took 3rd place. They were great, but couldn't quite get to the top spot as the Cadets were dazzling and the Cavies were simply wonderful. Still the improvement from 1989 to 1990, on all levels, was astounding and I knew that 1990 marked the emergence of a DCI Superpower. I loved the entire top 6 that year. I was sad to see SCV place 6th and it was unbelievable that BD and Phantom would tie for 4th after both were undefeated for much of the season.

1990 will be one of my favorite years for a long time. On so many levels, it was such a great year that provided a lot of unexpected turn of events.

Edited by gellio

Things that I remember about 1990 (my rookie drum corps season in the Colts):

- DCM was still a Premlims/Finals show, and only 6 of 7 open class corps made it in. The first spots were pretty well filled by Phantom, Star, Madison, Blue Coats and Cavaliers. The last slot was to be filled by either Colts or Glassmen. We had a 2 day camp leading into DCM and went in guns blazing but were edged by the Glassmen. Actually the only time we caught them was one night we tied with them after they had a laundry day.

- I also remember how early in the season we were using the Blue Knights as a measuring stick thinking that they were within our reach to catch. Well, as the summer went on, they got better and better and in the end we were 23rd and they had made the top 12.

- The Blue Devils were icons of drum corps to several of us in the corps, particularly soprano players who had the screamers of 88 & 89 to entice us. We were all interested to see what "Tommy" would be like. The first time we saw them was at the Omaha show. Everyone (generalization) was awed because they were the Blue Devils, but at the same time, left cold by the show. One soprano player who had a particular love for the Blue Devils was nearly reduced to tears because they hadn't lived up to the hype he had built for himself of seeing them live for the first time. The funny thing about that show was watching it evolve over the rest of the season and grow on us until we all ended up thinking it was very cool.

- The Bluecoats went away in the middle of the season and coming back with nearly a whole new show. They and Madison had a pretty fierce competition going on that summer.

- I couldn't get enough of Madison's show in 90, partcularly Remembrance - though 98's version is cleaner, I still prefer 1990 for excitement/energy.

- My first memory of Star of Indiana was that we were nearby them in retreat one night early in the season and I was in awe of how sharp their uniforms looked and now classy they were. They had a tight block for their hornline and then they did a ripple through the rows to put their horns down (because finale used to be an additional hour at the end of the show as all of the corps played off).

• 2 years later...

I'm randomly resurrecting this topic because I just wanted to ask a question about 1990...

I wasn't there (was only 7 at the time), but I've seen most of the top 6 or 8 on video. I'm an avid Cadets fan, but I'm still scratching my head over their 1990 'tribute' show. After several years of watching/listening to it, I still can't get into it. It's executed wonderfully, and I like Candide and Somewhere and the ending (with the forward/reverse Zpull), but the whole doesn't add up for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

1990 was also so competetive at the top, that 1st Place Cadets won 2 subcaptions, 2nd Place Cavies won 3, 3rd Place Star won 3, and T4th Phantom won 1. Cadets tied total GE with Cavies (Cadets taking GE Perc, Cavies taking GE Vis) and tied total Vis with Phantom despite Cadets placing 2nd in both Vis subcaptions... But Cavies had a deficit in Brass, Star in Visual, and Vis was Phanom's only strong caption that it was Cavies -0.8, Star -1.2, Devils and Phanom -2.4. Didn't wind up that competitive in terms of final score, but deceptive!

ok, that's all :)

Ah yes, the 1990s/early 2000s were great for the Crossmen!

Yo...

I marched Cadets snare line in 89,90 and 91....90 has LOTS of memories for me.

We started out well, then around early July hit the wall a bit. We were struggling to make all of the ensemble aspects of the show work (some suicide ensemble spreads). We saw Star in that time period, and we very rightfully got spanked. In fact, we got spanked by Cavies, Star and SCV at one point or another that year. We never got beat by BD, but the first time I saw that drumline, I thought we were in big trouble!

We were in Burningman, Alabama in early August (flippin' HOT!!!), and we were getting spanked rather handily by Star and SCV. Tom Aungst decided to take us for an all-day sectional about 3 miles from where the corps was rehearsing. The buses drop us off, and we begin to clean, Aungst-style! We clean the first set standing still, then on the fly. Once that we clean, onto set 2, and so forth. This went on from 9 am until 7 pm, with a 20 minute lunch and like 2 water breaks....it must have been 105 with 90% humidity, and Tom and Willy (the snare tech) were sitting under a tree on the front sideline, enjoying a Slurpee. Tom would pour a little on Willy's feet, and Willy would exclaim, "Oohhh...that's SO cold...BRRRR"!!! Meanwhile, we're getting our a**es beaten by the rest of the techs.

7pm comes, and....no bus. Tom says, "Let's track back!" (He actually told the bus driver not to come back and get us!) So, Candide at 176 for a mile, Sanctus/drum solo at 172 for a mile, and the Gallop at 208 for a mile at 105 degrees!

We get within a 1/4 mile of the stadium where the rest of the corps is rehearsing, and Tom says, "Lift 'em up!" We're thinking, "Thank GOD!". He starts running us at about 230 BPM in a fast jog with our drums on! We get to the stadium, and jogged us around a couple times (for good measure!). We get in there, and the horns have been working on the ballad (Somewhere) all day! The shadows are falling long on the stadium (ie...those whimps were in the shade!)....then ensemble begins. It was like dragging around lead sneakers!

The next night, we see Star and SCV...we closed the 2+ point gap to 1 tenth behind SCV! The top 3 were seperated by 3 tenths in prelims and 6 tenths in finals! It was at least 120 on the field that day, and a tiny bit cooler for the night show. We still got beat in drums by 4 tenths...UG.

The next night, we see SCV...beat them by 3 tenths, and 3 days later....1.9. We were finally gelling, and we we got tons cleaner each day. The corps you saw at finals was not the same corps 3 weeks prior...it was really an ensemble bag 'o donuts in mid-July. LOTS of re-writes. In fact, the ending of the show was the big impact you hear at the end of Gallop....the Bernstein/Copland collage wasn't added until late July, if I remember correctly.

I had the UTMOST respect for Star in 1990, as well as BD. Just RIDICULOUS, especially Star's brass and BD's battery...UNREAL!!

1990....Great year!

Edited by Cadetsnare

I remember getting smacked in the head about a dozen times by the guard members chain flags in the opener LOL

Seriously though, I also remember the show in MN where us and BD were undefeated and the Cavies ended up winning. I have to say I loved the BD "Tommy" show though.

Loved SCV doing Carmen

I remember the crowd going bonkers when we added the orgy wedge at the end of Bacchanale

I remember my bus seat partner from 89 going to cadets and winning it all in 90 (then marrying Tony Hall LOL)

I will have to keep thinking and add more later

I was working the PBS pledge drive at san Diego that year...i remember standing in front of one of the monitors while star was on..the only drum corps person in the room.

i was so stunned by the last 90 seconds of the show that I didn't make it back to my phone station unil after we came back on the air...shaking my head in wonder the whole time!