BD Members

BOSMarcher

Simple question for people that are in the Blue Devils, ever marched with them, or now someone that has or is marching with them.

During their many camps, the corps does not offer housing to its members. Is the same situation for their "Everyday" camps (or what are set up as camps)? If so, how do they live in hotels and apartments without gowing broke and if they get a job out there, how do they march and work at the same time?

Thanks for any and all responses.

PS: Why not house everyone at BD Hall or a high school?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about these days....but during my days, members would pool their resources to get apartments.

Two room apartments could have as many as 15 people living there. ALso, many families in the Concord area will house members.

Best thing, if you're considering marching in Concord is to contact Dave Gibbs regarding these questions or posting them on the Blue Devils forums (www.bluedevils.org/forums)

As far as the job sitch...you want fries with that? In 84 I worked the gill at te McDonald's on Monument Blvd along with Steve Campbell. Across the street at the Jack i teh Box were at least 2 ther Bd'ers, amd 3 more at the Taco Bell next to THEM!

Our shipment day was Wednesday, whch was also the day of sectional practice for the corps up until about Memorial Day. On Wednesdays, Steve ad I would come in early so we could get a full day and still make practice. Once Memorial Day came up and 10-10s started, you basically had to quit work.....corps BECAME your job...

In '89 we crammed 18 people in the "Contra Pad". Anyone who stayed there will remember it was like a #### fraternity house. My fondest memory of that place was this...

Upon returning home from the Memorial Day camp, we discovered that we had been robbed. TV? Gone. Stereo? Gone. Nintendo? Gone. The ######## even stole the beer out of the fridge. We were furious. We felt violated.

But in the finest BD tradition, we did the only thing we could possibly do. We THREW A PARTY!

Jerry's girlfriend bought us a new stereo, and we never missed a beat...

• 2 weeks later...
Why doesn't BD house their members? It costs enough money to be in BD in the first place, and they have to pay for their own housing!?!? Jeez, that's rough. Not to mention everything in California is friggin expensive.

No corps that I know of has the resources to house their own members (Star MAY have, but --like always -- they were the exception to the general rule in many ways). When you have to raise $500,000 per year for a program, the added expense of providing housing would kill even BD.

B'sides...apartment cramming is part of the corps experience!

Well, in many corps, you do stay at the school or whatever rehearsal facility, but not all. It depends on the facilities available and number of people attending rehearsals, so just ask in advance if you're not sure and want to audition somewhere.