Membership Fees

Drum Corps has become into an activity that I can only do everyother summer because of the expense and college. I am just wondering how much it was for you corps vets from the days before 1994??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched from 87-89, Suncoast's dues were $650, IIRC

My first two years in Cavaliers (1970 & 1971), the dues were $35 dollars. You then paid another $125 for the three-week tour, $75 of which was returned to you for food (we ate in restaurants prior to food trucks).

My last three years, the dues skyrocketed to $50 a year. :rolleyes:

The only thing we had to buy was our shoes. They usually lasted several years.

Edited by Paul Milano

Even though I didn't march, I was trying to get into the Guardsmen for the '81 season and I seem to recall their dues being $700 or so. I don't remember if that included tour fees or not.

I think I paid a bit over $300.00 to march with the Freelancers in '89. (Don't quote me though.... B)

Our tour fee was $450 in 1984. Camp fees were something like $20 or $30 each -- I can't remember exactly. But I do know that the tour was $450.

In 1990 my dues with the Colts was $525 and went down $50 each subsequent year you marched capping off at $375. Camp fees were $30, but were waived after you paid off your summer dues. There was also a discount if you paid your entire dues before Feb 1. Those dues covered all travel, food, equipment (except disposables), instruction and food for the summer minus 1 free day.

Additional costs were shoes, gloves after 2 pairs and spending money.

I want to say that I figured my costs to be around $700. I want to say the same membership is more than twice that much today. I assume gas and insurance are the two things that have skyrocketed. And then of course, not to bring up amps again, but every time the activity changes, (Bb instruments, amps, etc.) it raises the "price of admission" for corps who want to remain competitive. They have to stay with what is definied as the current drum corps sound.

I knew that we had it good, but never realized HOW good until reading some of these posts.

10 camp fees x $10= $100

No additional tour fees except personal spending money....Priceless.

(And corporate sponsorship still has its detractors.)

I give back whenever possible so others can experience what I have, it's only the right thing to do. I've probably paid my share of tour fees in the past 20 years.

"Ya Got DUES!?":

Way back when, and I am dating myself, our junior corps did not have "Tour Fees" or a "membership" requirement that required a large chunk of cash. We didn't have "audition fees" either, as we actually trained people who litterally" Came in off the street" how to march and play... But I digress.

Our 'dues' were a 'princely' .25 (thats twenty five CENTS) per week. The years that the corps attended "Nationals" an additional outlay of cash was required from the marching members which was usually worked off in paper drives and "tag days".

Times have changed havn't they?

Elphaba