Tuba (Contra) lines

robot

35 lb's?  hmm, okay lol, take your word on that one, but I doubt it

I don't know about Bb Tubas, but my DEG G 3 valve contra is 35 lbs. I noticed the difference immediately compared to the K-90.

You must have added some weights to that DEG. Dynasty's 3-valve contra (G) is 16 lbs. 4oz., and the 4-valve (G) is 25lbs. This comes directly from the Dyansty web site's product specifications.

By comparasin, the Dynasty Bb tubas are 16 lbs. for the 3-valve and 25lbs. for the 4-valve.

As for Kanstul, here's their specs:

Kanstul G Contra Bass Bugle (KCB 201) - 18lbs,

Kanstul G Contra Grande Bass Bugle (KCG 200) - 26lbs.

Kanstul G Contra Grande Bass Bugle (KCB 200/4) - 28lbs.

Kanstul's 5/4 Bb Marching Tuba weighs in at 24lbs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 lb's?  hmm, okay lol, take your word on that one, but I doubt it

I don't know about Bb Tubas, but my DEG G 3 valve contra is 35 lbs. I noticed the difference immediately compared to the K-90.

You must have added some weights to that DEG. Dynasty's 3-valve contra (G) is 16 lbs. 4oz., and the 4-valve (G) is 25lbs. This comes directly from the Dyansty web site's product specifications.

By comparasin, the Dynasty Bb tubas are 16 lbs. for the 3-valve and 25lbs. for the 4-valve.

I weighed my horn today. It was 31 lbs. without the mouthpiece. For some reason I remember weighing it when I first bought it and it was about 35, but it's definitely not the 16 pounds the DEG site shows. Even the old Baby Degs from the 80's aren't that light. Maybe someone added a bunch of extra braces to my horn. Good, I'll need 'em.

I've never been a big Cavies fan, but I give props to their contra line for being able to stay on two feet with their insane drill. :blink:

Yeah, can't forget about the Phantom "Organ Symphony" show from 1990!

One of my favorite lines is Star's '89 line, from their "British" show...

Great show,great contra feature from carnival of the animals,but check the vid of the backward high mark time marching...ouch.....tick,tick,tick.

The 16 lbs. tubas your speaking of are the crappy little 3 valve degs that H.S., and middle school bands use. or you could say the tiny little pea shooters that esperanza used last year. trust me when i say this. i used one for 6 years in my middle, h.s. ~later

• 1 year later...

Getting back to the best contra line...

First, let me say that I've never heard a contra line that I thought was bad. A few individual people, yeah, but never a whole line. (Of course, there have been contra lines that you can't hear at all, but hey...)

Anyways, with NO insult intended to anyone, IMHO, the BEST contra line of all time was:

1978 Rhode Island Matadors

and the best contra solo ever was:

Open Wide, 1980 27th Lancers, followed by Sir Duke 1978 North Star. If anyone knows the contra player's names, please let me know. I'll buy them a round of whatever they're drinking!

I'll add my .02, and say that when I played contra, the role model for my sound was always Star's contra section. Blue Devils contras were always very high on my list as well (for those who say you can't hear BD's section, have a listen to their 1988, 1998, and 1999 shows and come back) but as others have said, they're a lot more of a "texture" then a "blow you down" sound. SCV's lines also rank high with me, particularly their 1987 section (that into, good lord.... wow).

But all of you on here that were in ANY of Star's contra sections, thank you. :) From 1986's raw power, 1990's lushness, to 1992 and 1993's controlled fury, you guys to me are the epitome of a contra sound. Same goes for the hornline, but in particular to the lowest of the low brass.

I can tell you that I play a DEG 4-valve contra and it is at least 35 lbs. I know it has had a couple of braces added but otherwise it is the same as the factory models. I think the weight figures on Dynasty and Kanstuls web sites are highly undervalued. I think they don't want to scare anyone off.