Tuba (Contra) lines

robot

I remember the first time I got to see Star and their 16 contras in Dekalb. The only thought I had was, "Where's the sound?". Come early to Finals and hear 6 of us put out more sound than most 10-12 man lines.

When I think of low brass, though, I think of Phantom. I sure do miss them playing National Emblem in finale. Sorry, but when I think BD I think high brass. BD and Cadets, while they have gotten better in recent years, have been traditionally top heavy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say that I've never heard a contra line that I thought was bad.

Well, of course you can't hear a bad contra line... ;)

First things first. For a contra line to have even a shot at being "decent", they must be heard.

Trends that I've seen:

BD = clean, on the quiet side, sometimes loud

PR = usually loud, sometimes too much

SCV = on & off years

Cavaliers = used to be nothing to speak of, got much better by the late 90's

Cadets = hit or miss, usually alright

Glassmen = sucked (SUCKED!) until 92

Bluecoats = some really nice lines, lack of depth often apparent in the past

Scouts = usually pretty good, unfortunately never godlike

VK = some good stuff in the early 90's

DCA in general -- good contra lines are rare, honestly

• 3 weeks later...
I remember the first time I got to see Star and their 16 contras in Dekalb.

We didn't have 16 in Dekalb, in fact we didn't have a full line for 80% of that summer.

Glassmen = sucked (SUCKED!) until 92

I would just like to point out that the '92 Glassmen contra line consisted of SIX players total, all on King K-90s.

I would just like to point out that the '92 Glassmen contra line consisted of SIX players total, all on King K-90s.

I brought up that line because that was my ageout year (my corps had the oldest contra line in DCI that year... all ageouts, all two of us.. lol).

In previous years, Glassmen would come onto the field with at least 8 or 9 contras, but you couldn't hear them if you tried. Frankly, as a fellow contra, it was very annoying -- all those K90's going to waste.

They came onto the field in 92 with six players, and we thought, "Oh great, we definitely won't hear them at all...ugh..." Boy, they surprised us.

Personally, I enjoyed several lines that I've heard live.

Spirit 2002 had a GREAT full sound...good intonation.

Cadets 1991 Great Line

Star 1991, 1992, 1993 :blink:

Cavaliers 2002 (1999 - great sound)

Phantom 2005 (MUCH better than ANY line I've ever heard from them.... back when they had different horns in G, it was not a very thick sound.... didn't sound the same all the way across) <**>

Just a few lines from the past that I enjoy.

I brought up that line because that was my ageout year (my corps had the oldest contra line in DCI that year... all ageouts, all two of us.. lol).

In previous years, Glassmen would come onto the field with at least 8 or 9 contras, but you couldn't hear them if you tried.  Frankly, as a fellow contra, it was very annoying -- all those K90's going to waste.

They came onto the field in 92 with six players, and we thought, "Oh great, we definitely won't hear them at all...ugh..."  Boy, they surprised us.

I love to pop in '92 BD, point out the volume of their contra line, then pop in '92 Glassmen and point out that we actually have VOLUME. :P