Age Limit ?

Should DCI raise the age limit?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI raise the age limit?

• Yes
    • NoAge:
    • Higher
    • none

Considering the popularity of alumni corps, do you think that DCI would be wise to raise the age limit, for the continued growth of Jr. drum and bugle corps. Edited by BariBrian

I voted none since there isn't a 'don't raise the age limit' option.

21 (22 in some cases) is the time most people are getting jobs. By raising the age limit you are forcing people to only work in jobs that they can have 1/4 of the year away. Meaning only people who could continue or be able to march would be music educators. It's hard enough for music educators to find the time to march the schedule of a DCA or Alumni unit.

So no, I don't think they should raise the limit. DCI and DCA are two very different takes on the same medium

i actually voted "no age" but i was a little confused. I actually meant to vote to not change the age limit. I think 21/22 is a good cutoff point, because like Psiguy said, there would be too many people trying to find jobs that could let them work only in the fall and winter. I know by the time I age-out i will be looking for a summer internship and an actual job <**>

As much as I would have loved to continued, I'm afraid I would not be in the position I am in now. I feel I probably would still be living at my parents house working part-time jobs....all for the love of drum corps. So no, I hope they keep the age limit right where it is. If those of us who wish to continue with that dream but only on a part time basis, can do so with a senior corps. There are so many good corps out there to choose from.

Im confused about the 21/22 age thing....it doesnt really make sense...so since my sons B-day is in Oct. and his 18 now turning 19 next oct. how many years of juniors would he have after this season...and is he able to march when hes 22???...

otherwise I vote none.. I dont think the age limit should change...after Juniors go to senior corps...alot of age out do...and we wouldnt want the senior start to fall due to it

hiccups05,

what i meant by the 21/22 comment was that members that have their birthday in the tour months (June 1-August ??) are able to march an extra year. So if son were to have his birthday for example in July, he could march WHILE he was 21, and then July turn 22. That would be considered his age-out year. It's kind of like a little loop-hole through the rules. My birthday is May 27. So you can get a feel on how I feel about this rule. :wall: so if my math is right, your son has 4 years of marching, including this upcoming season.

Edited by moldydrummer

Yeah, I tend to agree- Unfortunately by 21, the real world starts knocking- graduation, student loans, real job and real money, and many parents feel that they shouldn't support you anymore... (That and man, your body starts to break down at 21 after years of drum corps) Plus, if DCI were to let you march forever, that would mean kids wouldn't get the opportunity to play and march- Meaning that, when you are older- you've been playing for so much longer- so many times you've got much better chops ( I know- not always) , and have been exposed to a lot more music- Additionally, you'd have a lot of people who then have degrees in music- How is a 17 year old high school kid supposed to fight for a spot with someone who has a Master's Degree in Trumpet Performance?

How is a 17 year old high school kid supposed to fight for a spot with someone who has a Master's Degree in Trumpet Performance?

Like that person would really be marching?? WGI opened up their world division to any age...seems to be working for them ok. And what exactly IS the real world that comes knocking?? Can't people have a life and a hobby too? I seem to remember my dad made time every Thursday night to bowl in his bowling league, and every Saturday to go coach at the YMCA in Pasadena. What's the difference between a person that has a career, a wife, a family, a house payment, a car payment, etc, etc, giving a few hours a week to a "hobby"--and call it drum corps?

Because that few hours a week is just that a few hours a week Junior corps is an entire summer.....and plus then you are also taking away from the senior corps activity

I agree 100% with you! If you want to continue the "hobby" then go find a senior corps. I have been surprised by the caliber of shows coming from such groups with only practices on weekends.

I'm sure my husband and two kids would love me being gone for a whole summer.....NOT.

It's bad enough for them when I'm away for the weekends. :wall: