Bridgemen penalty 1980

Looking at the recaps from 1980, I noticed Bridgemen had a .20 penalty. Without this penalty, they would have tied with 27th Lancers for 2nd place, who BTW didn't have a penalty.

I'm just wondering if any of you Bridgemen alumni would remember what the penalty was for? Could it be when the corps played football on the field and maybe ran over-time? Or perhaps a member stepped over the front side line? :wall:

Here's the link so you can see the recaps;

http://www.corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=s...&showid=1980110

Edited by Malibu

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preface: Although I loved both corps, Bridgemen and Spirit I want you to know what I believe in my heart. I first have to say that I find it difficult to believe that Bridgemen even beat Spirit.

#1 I like a more serious drum corps, yes the B-men were different, and they were enjoyable.

#2 I still 24 years later find it quite hard to believe that Spirit didn't beat B-men by at least a point on that particular night at finals, never mind come 2nd to us and tie us had they not had a penalty.

I may get a lot of grief for this, it's my opinion, I was there, I lived it, and have more than worn out the tapes of 1980. It was bad enough having to go on after Spirit, I thought they may have beat us. Well not really, but no, wait, yes, they very easily could have and may be should have!

But Bridgemen, although both from the east and having ties to each other in more ways than one, no way! :wall:

I believe Spirit gave the performance of their life that night.....tying B-men in drums didn't hurt, Spirits horn line, well, we're still talking about them today. We discuss how funny this or that was with B-men or the Black Market Juggler or the dancing girls and circus, however, do we ever say how clean they were, how great they marched........nevermind :sshh:

Malibu, I don't seem to see what you think of that??? :P :P

:wall: :luke:

Edited by LancerFi

Oh and then there's G. Montaraselli (sp) um, well, nevermind............

Sure LancerFi, I too don't see how they came that close to you guys.....as you know, I was also there live watching the whole thing. Like you said, Bridgemen were entertaining, but execution especially with the visual program was not their specialty. Didn't want to open up this can of worms for you, but I was just wondering if anyone knew just what that penalty was for?

I am shocked that they placed that high....Spirit had an emotional performance that night, one that in my mind should have been closer to you guys than being beaten by Bridgemen.

Edited by Malibu

Thanks for your opinion, it's always appreciate because you do have so much experience!

I realize it's a can of worms, but there's no taking away anything from the Bridgemen. We discuss all the time on here and especially in the junior forum how this drill is better than that one, they were better than this one. And this should be no different that what we talk about every day.

As I said I don't believe it's bias against B-men as their horn line and drum line were just beyond belief, however, you have to take the good with the bad, the critisisms and and the kudos.

I think our horn line was never our strong point, and I'm the first one to say it. Had we had as good a horn line as B-men we would have been well on our way...

Thanks for your opinion, it's always appreciate because you do have so much experience!

I think our horn line was never our strong point, and I'm the first one to say it. Had we had as good a horn line as B-men we would have been well on our way...

Me with so much experienc??? :wall:

Hey, your the one with 11 years of marching under your belt! :)

Just think if your hornline had the power and punch that Spirit had...WOW!

I mean, you guys blew me away as it was with "Folk Song Suite".....I can't imagine it being any louder! b**bs

I think our horn line was never our strong point, and I'm the first one to say it.  Had we had as good a horn line as B-men we would have been well on our way...

Me with so much experienc??? :wall:

Hey, your the one with 11 years of marching under your belt! :)

Just think if your hornline had the power and punch that Spirit had...WOW!

I mean, you guys blew me away as it was with "Folk Song Suite".....I can't imagine it being any louder! b**bs

Um, wait, marching and teaching along with judging are like apples and oranges. I appreciate you mentioning how long I marched, but it's not the same. On the other hand, I maybe should have tried to judge right after aging out so that I changed as the sport did.

I don't think you sometimes give yourself enough credit and I believe you should be teaching a drum corps. Nothing against your local band, but I really can see you running up those stairs to watch the show as your corps lines up!

Did you know at first warming up the guard in the winter gave me me anxiety attacks which I hid! I was not into the power or pulling rank thing as so many end up being. Although now that I look back I am very, very proud that I made it to that. It was truly an honor. But as I've mentioned just as I was feeling good in my skin, it was 1980 retreat and the year was over. I needed and wanted 2 years!!!

And as you know although I've been asked, and did a few winter guards (but not for long) I am no instructor. I didn't have enough confidence #1, #2 - I can stand there and be beaten into the ground to be better, however I don't believe I could do it to somebody else for real. I liked the way we were taught in the hot sun, sweat pouring down, etc.

The thing is, besides that lack of confidence, and that's a big one, I would probably never, ever, ever be happy with the outcome. It just would never be good enough. As it was working with our junior guard, the ones that ended up in our lines at 11, 12 and 13, it was just not the same although I had them when they were 7 and 8 or somewhere around there.

OK, blind yet? Sorry, this went a little longer than I expected.

Cheez, my avatar makes my uniform look hot pink....DOH

Preface: Although I loved both corps, Bridgemen and Spirit I want you to know what I believe in my heart. I first have to say that I find it difficult to believe that Bridgemen even beat Spirit.

#1 I like a more serious drum corps, yes the B-men were different, and they were enjoyable.

#2 I still 24 years later find it quite hard to believe that Spirit didn't beat B-men by at least a point on that particular night at finals, never mind come 2nd to us and tie us had they not had a penalty.

I may get a lot of grief for this, it's my opinion, I was there, I lived it, and have more than worn out the tapes of 1980. It was bad enough having to go on after Spirit, I thought they may have beat us. Well not really, but no, wait, yes, they very easily could have and may be should have!

But Bridgemen, although both from the east and having ties to each other in more ways than one, no way! :wall:

I believe Spirit gave the performance of their life that night.....tying B-men in drums didn't hurt, Spirits horn line, well, we're still talking about them today. We discuss how funny this or that was with B-men or the Black Market Juggler or the dancing girls and circus, however, do we ever say how clean they were, how great they marched........nevermind :sshh:

Malibu, I don't seem to see what you think of that??? :P :P

:wall: :luke:

I have to say, I agree with you. (I'm sure that comes as no surprise, since I've said it before.) And, as you say, this is not meant to knock Bridgemen. I love Bridgemen. But how they ever managed to overtake Spirit, much less come so close to Two-Seven, is beyond me. Because if we compare all the sections:

Brass: Both corps had really fine horn lines, but I've gotta give the edge to Spirit.

Drums: Both corps had superb drum lines; Bridgemen probably get the edge here . . . but no by much.

General Effect: Two different kinds of GE. Bridgemen had their irreverent humor, and yes, the Civil War finale went over huge in Birmingham. But Spirit had this whole other different kind of GE. More traditional, to be sure. But every bit as strong as what Bridgemen had, and it came mainly through the incredible emotion of that horn line. So, IMO, it's break-even in this caption, too.

Marching and Maneuvering: This is where Bridgemen should've scored pretty low, both in terms of show design and marching execution. But strangely enough, they didn't. And I'll never understand that. On the other hand, Spirit had pretty solid M&M execution, and their marching program was far more demanding than Bridgemen's. And it had higher aesthetic appeal, IMO, than Bridgemen's. So to me, with all other things being pretty much equal, M&M should've been the caption that pulled Spirit up over Bridgemen . . . and yet it wasn't. *shrug*