Bridgemen penalty 1980

As far as 27 and BD..... I'm suprised 27 was so close to BD... BD was like glass.........smoooooooth and very clean.

Yes, they were clean, but there weren't alot of "tick-able" breaks in 2-7's show, either. Lancers were clean, also. I think that BD had the edge in M&M and had probably a harder drill book than Lancers did. One thing that weighed in BD's favor(and I'll probably be strung up for saying this, but it IS true) was the dark color of their uniforms. That against a green field tends to hide spacing errors which would show up better with a lighter colored uniform (like 27th's khaki). With that statement, I am not diminishing BD's brilliant M&M execution. It is a know fact about light colored uniforms and why so many drum corps have gone to all black.

All in all, I would not have wanted to be a judge in the box that night! Sheesh. Who to choose?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that BD had the edge in M&M and had probably a harder drill book than Lancers did.

And all this time we were told that our drill was more difficult....however it may have been BS...

On the tape Reliable Rondo mentions (paraphrasing) that our scores were amazing for the difficulty of our drill and that we kept the show because it was such a difficult show, and it was a show that could be cleaned, and we had done that and they are not penallize for doing that.....etc.

The real reason we kept it is because we had to work for about 4 months on the Olympics and didn't have time for a new drill. Of course we could have learned a new one, with new music, but I don't believe we would have been as successful.

Of course Reliable Rondo can have an opinion too but he wasn't the only one.

He was however correct that BD would beat us! :P

Edited by LancerFi

And all this time we were told that our drill was more difficult....however it may have been BS...

No, I tend to agree with you, Nancy. I think that Two-Seven had the superior drill, and executed it a tad better. That's not taking anything away from Blue Devils. They also had a beautiful drill, full of demand and executed well, but IMO not as demanding as yours. Theirs was symmetrical, more of a purist's drill for that time, while Two-Seven's drill was more groundbreaking. (Yes, I know, it was nearly identical to the '79 drill. I think that's just one of those remarkable drills that took two years to clean!) Your drill had one memorable set after another, and the transitions into those sets were among the most challenging of any corps out there, yet you did a marvelous marching job.

For me, there's one really exceptional moment in BD's drill. I know BD did a variation on this year after year, but those gates into a company front in the closer are one of the most thrilling drill moves I've ever seen. Seeing them lock into place in a near-flawless company front is goosebump city!

It is a know fact about light colored uniforms and why so many drum corps have gone to all black.

Uh-oh, can't wait to see this debate fire up again! :P

(For what it's worth, I agree with you, and have made this same point before, only to be challenged by several folks who don't buy it.)

I also agree with you about how hard it must've been to judge that night. So much greatness on the field, but only one corps can win. (No, I don't like first-place ties!) IMO, 1980 was an extraordinary year; that championship stands out in my mind as one of the greatest ever.

Edited by byline

Just think LancerFi, we were just watching the DVD this past weekend in Allentown!

I must tell you, that night performing for all you guys was a blast for me! We were just glad to be back in finals and I think it shows how laid back we all were during the performance.....no pressure, just enjoying every moment! Now prelims was different, flashbacks from 1979 kept us on fire!

Just think LancerFi, we were just watching the DVD this past weekend in Allentown!

I must tell you, that night performing for all you guys was a blast for me! We  were just glad to be back in finals and I think it shows how laid back we all were during the performance.....no pressure, just enjoying every moment! Now prelims was different, flashbacks from 1979 kept us on fire!

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you talking about leaving the field after the scores? If that's what you mean, I never thought of it like that. Performing :huh:

To me it always sounded like a sad goodbye, playing the corps song or a song and leaving that year behind as the corps marched out....but I guess you could think of it as performing.....I'll have to reflect on that! :) I guess it was more meaningful at finals, but in our day full retreats at every show was the norm, and we just wanted to get out of there and have a drink, smoke a cigarette, change into comfortable clothes, get to the next venue, well you get the idea.

A few times and I don't remember if this was pre or post DCI and I don't remember who it was, but this corps marched off of the field the other way, they did not go by the winner and salute them....very discraciatha.......there was probably a pretty good reason, (although no reason would be good enough) but I bet if I had marched the corps the opposite way off that night in 80 for instance, George B. would have had me by not one but two ears. And he may have pulled my arm off and beat me with the wet end....gawd is he funny...."beat you with the wet end"....FYI, this wasn't said directly to me... :whistle::whistle:

:OT: :OT: :OT: I think I'm the only one that strays then tells on myself. I'm only a rat on myself I guess! I'm not Sammy "The Bull" Gravanno, put it that way!! :sshh: :( :huh: :P

I must admit, I'm truly amazed by the amount of passion that is elicited whenever 1980 is mentioned!!!!! ^OO^

(But, I'm STILL waiting on someone from SCV to weigh in on 1980 ^0^ )

(Could someone post the picture of Tom Moffit from the 1980 yearbook with his "perfect embouchure"?? Dan S.???)

I'm voting that a subforum be created in General Junior Corps Discussions that deals strictly with 1980!!!! b**bs

(And then I'll tell you all again how I could have marched BD that year :( )

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you talking about leaving the field after the scores? If that's what you mean, I never thought of it like that. Performing :whistle:

A few times and I don't remember if this was pre or post DCI and I don't remember who it was, but this corps marched off of the field the other way, they did not go by the winner and salute them....very discraciatha.......there was probably a pretty good reason, (although no reason would be good enough).

No, not leaving the field from retreat, but the actual performance of the show itself. See you guys were under a great deal of pressure being sooooooo close to BD....as I'm sure BD felt the same way. We, (Crossmen) on the other hand felt no pressure after making it into finals......we were relieved that the pressure was off for us so we could just enjoy doing what we had been working so hard for all summer.....one last time!

Ya know, I remember a corps too that marched off the opposite direction of the winning corps.....not marching by them to salute them!

^OO^

Edited by Malibu

(Could someone post the picture of Tom Moffit from the 1980 yearbook with his "perfect embouchure"?? Dan S.???)

What?????????????????????????????

I'm voting that a subforum be created in General Junior Corps Discussions that deals strictly with 1980!!!! b**bs

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And then I'll tell you all again how I could have marched BD that year :( )

Pray tell us????????????????????? :P I loved 80 and how close it was, and it would have been my pleasure to beat you in A-town by 2 1/2 points. Then lose by a few tenths only a week later.....BD won hands down, we peaked in A-town...####!

LOL! Some kind of "decency" penalty? :P

Heck, Oakland had .4 in penalties in prelims that year, and I couldn't tell you what they were for. Having an ugly uniform? :whistle:

T&P Judge earned his cheque that night. Must have been wearing shades in prelims. Could you imagine if there was a penalty for each uniformed member on the field if the judge had seen all of us?

Regards,

John Swartz