Bridgemen penalty 1980

Hank Granna was judging M&M Ex Side Two that night. Thats why Bayonne was placed ahead of Atlanta.

Hank Granna was judging M&M Ex Side Two that night. Thats why Bayonne was placed ahead of Atlanta.

And what side was Mr. Montareselli on finals night?

Just a question, I was wondering.

I listened last night to Joe Nees' 1979 prelims tape-GE M & M. It's so nice to listen to a judge who really loves what he's doing and had/has been doing for so many years. He's a pleasure....I'll keep that tape over some of the 1rst place trophys and best guard trophies that were given to me!

Unfortunatley when my Dad was manager, he thought the greatest thing to do was not keep them in the cellars collecting dust. He'd give them to worthy members as well a wedding gifts to couples who met and married thru dc. So consequently I have on 5 or 6 Eastern Mass and CYO tropies from the early 60s....

:T: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't be the first time that politics had some hand in the placements of corps at finals but, I highly doubt that politics ever work on the side of Bayonne.

Back then it was more important to have a relatively clean show even if it was an easier show then it was to have a more difficult but less executed show. A tenth of a point is still a tenth of a point no matter how hard or easy the show was.

Hank Granna was judging M&M Ex Side Two that night.  Thats why Bayonne was placed ahead of Atlanta.

And what side was Mr. Montareselli judge on finals night?

OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT:

Hank Granna was judging M&M Ex Side Two that night.  Thats why Bayonne was placed ahead of Atlanta.

OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT: :OT:

LancerFi you are killing me here.....you know something I'd like to hear I'm sure......do tell! b**bs

Actually, Monterastelli wasn't on a particular side; he was judging Visual Analysis. C. Williams (not sure what the "C." stands for) was judging M&M, Side 1. Here's the recap.

Hank Granna was judging M&M Ex Side Two that night.   Thats why Bayonne was placed ahead of Atlanta.

Actually, Monterastelli wasn't on a particular side; he was judging Visual Analysis. C. Williams (not sure what the "C." stands for) was judging M&M, Side 1. Here's the recap.

That explains it...he was in the middle!! :P

It's funny. Not until reading this thread did I ever know we had a penalty. It just didn't seem to matter much after that performance. Looking back it is truly an honor to have been in the midst of a championship battle with such legendary corps, all at the top of their games.

I wonder if the penalty was for being too loud?

It's funny. Not until reading this thread did I ever know we had a penalty. It just didn't seem to matter much after that performance. Looking back it is truly an honor to have been in the midst of a championship battle with such legendary corps, all at the top of their games.

I wonder if the penalty was for being too loud?

Ya know, it could be since in those days if you dropped a piece of clothing, it was considered "dropped equipment" that Brodgemen's guard could have dropped a piece of their circus costume.....maybe in changing or just fell off.

Ya know, it could be since in those days if you dropped a piece of clothing, it was considered "dropped equipment" that Brodgemen's guard could have dropped a piece of their circus costume.....maybe in changing or just fell off.

That may have been true for all 10 of the corps that had penalties that night. This was the time when more different pieces of equipment and props were being used by most of the corps. So if a horn-player's hand flag fell out of a canister onto the field, that would be a penalty. Or a piece of trim fell off (and often it was held on rather precariously), that would be a penalty. It seemed like the more "junk" we dragged onto the field, the higher the penalties were.