Bridgemen penalty 1980

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, it could be since in those days if you dropped a piece of clothing, it was considered "dropped equipment" that Brodgemen's guard could have dropped a piece of their circus costume.....maybe in changing or just fell off.

That may have been true for all 10 of the corps that had penalties that night. This was the time when more different pieces of equipment and props were being used by most of the corps. So if a horn-player's hand flag fell out of a canister onto the field, that would be a penalty. Or a piece of trim fell off (and often it was held on rather precariously), that would be a penalty. It seemed like the more "junk" we dragged onto the field, the higher the penalties were.

Yeah, maybe "our" Clark Kent got a penalty for taking his clothes off back field.

Im pretty sure dropped equipment was a penalty back then.

Bridgemen certainly did not push the envelope in terms of just drill design.But the complete package they offered hen put them over the top(of Spirit) that night.IMO the Lancers and SCV were the innovators.Bayonne was just fun and about fun.With the tick system, it had to be hard to judge that against more traditional shows.As for Cheeseman taking his clothes off. :P

Yeah, maybe "our" Clark Kent got a penalty for taking his clothes off back field.

LOL! Some kind of "decency" penalty? :P

Heck, Oakland had .4 in penalties in prelims that year, and I couldn't tell you what they were for. Having an ugly uniform? :wall:

But think about it for a minute. When was the last time more then one corps from the East was within the top 5?

Ummmm....2002 and 2000.

Sorry,I forgot Boston too.

• 3 weeks later...

This is just my opinion of 1980 finals, and let's all remember, that's 24 years ago.

As far as the Bridgemen, loved the antics but I don't recall them being known for the M&M.

Spirit, with all the emotions and the seats that spelled out Jim Ott, that hornline was LOUD. Other than that, really don't recall much more of their show that night.

27th, what can you say, they were what they were and they did it well. The one word I would use to describe them, TRADITION. One of those corps I loved to watch, but to be honest, not a corps from a show perspective I would like to march.

Blue Devils, WOW! Their show that night just blew me away. Didn't get to see them too often that year, but at finals, WOW! I had 27th winning finals till I saw BD.

I also loved Madison that night, but can't recall Phantom that night. In fact, I don't recall them at all that year. Again, a corps I didn't get to see often.

I would have put them in this order:

1. Blue Devils

2. 27th

3.Spirit

4. Madison

5. Bridgemen

On a side note, since somebody mentioned politics, I remember that all season Boston beating us. (Royal Crusaders) Our director, Gary Inks, told us not to worry about them that DCI was boosting their score to keep them going, they were pretty close to folding if I recall. Going into Birmingham, we had ourselves in 13th or 14th according to who we were beating and who were beating us. Prelims we were 24th and guess who was 25th? Yep, Boston. B)

• 2 months later...

5th??....5th???

you all make it sound as if the Bridgemen got the push from DCI. Just think about that for a second. The Bridgemen get a push? In 1980? IMHO they still wanted the Bridgemen to go away at that point. those folks that came before me had to earn everything they got.

The Bridgemen placed where they did because of execution. Great hornline and clean... great drum line and unbelievably clean.... good GE... simple drill (no doubt) but CLEAN... (at least for the Bridgemen)

Spirit.... Unbelievable horn line..... but their drill was not so clean....

In 1980 there was the almighty tick system.... cleanliness got you points.

Todays system.... who knows...... here's a tenth for effort.

I too had spirit above the Bridgemen that night.... but knowing a few of the folks back then running the Banana corps... I also know for sure that the Bridgemen have never been given any kind of gift from DCI,

They earned everything they got ......the hard way!!

As far as 27 and BD..... I'm suprised 27 was so close to BD... BD was like glass.........smoooooooth and very clean.

Personally, with the point spread between the top three that night, I think it was "anything could have happened night."

As it stood, if I remember hearing correctly, Bridgemen didn't do very well in V.A. (Visual Analysis ... First year for that caption) and that got them the 3rd place ... Had they been on par with the rest of the top five, they would have won the show. Hands down.

It was an absolutely amazing performance ... As were those of Spirit and Blue Devils.

Edited by DCIHasBeen