Age out tradition

It was popular to leave your shoes on the field at your last show, when you were "ageing out". I left mine at a show in Malden Mass, that was in early Sept. Thats right September use to have shows too. There use to be other shows to go to after DCI. Before drum corps worried about all the college students going back to school, there would still be regional action. Well,, anyway. Where did you leave your shoes (or whatever)?

BariBrain, you asked, "Where are my shoes?" Actually, my leather shoes are in my closet. Not many in my corps left them on the field for finals as we knew there were a few more shows. Even then, people didn't leave them behind. Instead, on the field after finals retreat, I left my "lucky penny" right in the spot where I was standing. I carried that penny in my shoe during practices and shows.

We didn't make Finals my age out year, so my last show was Semis (no retreat). Couldn't leave them on the field at the age out ceremony because we still had shows left! So I ended up taking mine home.

A month later, I was helping out my college marching band. We had a baritone kid drop on the Thursday of game week. Our band is pretty small (like about 55 that year), so holes are like 8 step gaping spaces. So I jumped in and learned part of the drill on Thursday, marked some second trumpet music with the drill and played the only 2nd trumpet I ever played for that band! I realize that my old black marching shoes from high school are NOT going to last for this performance (about 8 years old at this point!). So.... I grabbed my white MTX shoes from my drum corps time, shoe polished them black and wore them.

It actually worked surprisingly well - took about 3 layers to completely coat them, and I had to do touch ups every time I wore them. They look convincingly like black shoes until you look at the white sole... :wall: But I actually cheated and used those as my "dress" shoes for the rest of the year. I decided this year I better get some REAL black dress shoes since I'm a music major now and all! :)

Was kinda amusing though - walk up to someone, what color are my shoes? ummm black!?! HAH nope, they're white. Ok I was bored, but what the hey!

In 1986 it was a sad year for drum corps, not only was it my age out year, but it was the year that DCI lost one of it's founding corps, the 27th Lancers. Since we didn't make finals that year by mere 10th's of a point, some of us that stayed to watch finals made sure we left our mark for our drum corps and also our age out year. We couldn't leave our shoes because we didn't make finals, but it was some members of Star of Indiana who took our shoes and gloves and left it in the form of a "27" for us on the field for us. There were some other things that happened that night but I'll leave that for another time. I'll never forget how Star helped us that night in so many ways! A class act! :wall:

Edited by Lancerlady

Got my white Bates Lites. Great shoes. Better than the ones we switched to in 98. 99 we switched back to Bates.

Still have my Aussie hat, my gauntlets, my citation cord and my gloves.

Good times!