If You Could Change One Thing in DCI

Let's say you were given a chance to change anything in DCI, what would that ONE

thing be. I know that's a loaded question but I curious to see what you would change. Either in the 70's, 80's, 90's or now.

I would change.......let me think about that.

I'll get back to you later, I'm tired and I just can't think right now.

-_- -_- -_- -_- -_-

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

I would involve current corps. members, alumni, and some sort of Fan representation in ALL voting. It seems clear to me that if you want the fans and alumni to continue to enjoy shows and spend their $$$$, then stop ignoring their wishes. Get them involved in major decisions, then there would be fewer complaints, and the results would be larger crowds and perhaps more involvement by alumni and community on an individual corps. basis.

JUST a THOUGHT!

Edited by BariBrian

I would go back to G horns. You know, the ones with the single strap in the back. No ,,,,,,,,Wait,,,,,,Sorry, I mean the two valve, P/R type. I was looking at a V.Secret mag. b**bs

OK, I'm back. It's amazing what a good nights sleep will do!!!!!!!!

The first thing I would change is NO AMPS, and change the name to TBI

(Trumpet Band International) -- why not we're not drum & bugle corps anymore!!!!

Who's the person who thought this move up?

I'm going to shut up now before I say something I'll regret.

Here we go again with the whole "it's all about what key the horn is in and how many stinkin' valves they have" that define drum corps...

Good grief, it'll never end will it...

I would go back to G horns. You know, the ones with the single strap in the back. No ,,,,,,,,Wait,,,,,,Sorry, I mean the two valve, P/R type. I was looking at a V.Secret mag.  b**bs

P/R's!!!

Back then, I was outraged when it happened. I remember the controversy, P/R to 2P. They were deformed trumpets (I'm supposed to stick my third finger where??). It took the right hand bugle grip away. Even with the horizontal piston, you still held P/R's like a standard bugle. It looked like a standard bugle from the front. Could we afford them to stay competitive?

I got my hands on an OLDS Ultratone II Soprano. Modern engineering (at least for 1977), better machine quality. They played awesome and I never thought about looking back. I once got my HS band DQ'd in a parade for using my 2P (No, it did not matter much since we were the perennial cellar dwellars). At least 2P's were still unique for Drum & Bugle corps.

BUT....

3 valves????

What caused this evolution? Who wanted the change? What reasons?

Was it because it made corps better?

Was it to make charts easier to arrange?

Was it because it made recruiting easier?

Was it because the corps only had too few manufactuers to choose from?

Was it because some manufacturers wanted to phase out due to a declining demand from a declining activity?

All of these? None of these? Some of these?

And, to me, it is not so much about the key of G or Bb. That's just tube length. Remember those old Ludwig bugles? My corp started with an old set. They played somewhere near Gb, well, okay a sharp F sharp. You had to hear our sound as we combined them with our first phase of a new set of Ultratones. Just UGLY

What makes the "bugle" in a Drum and BUGLE Corps?

Kaboom

What caused this evolution? Who wanted the change? What reasons?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Edited by BariBrian

NO amps or electronic devices of ANY kind.