What's The Big Deal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one thing that needs to be brought up is this: drum corps is Popular art, not fine art. Band-oriented people have tried to convert drum corps to their liking, which unfortunately dismays a lot of fans, as most are not familiar with contemporary band music. I think band music should be played by bands, not drum corps. Drum corps has been about parents, kids, music, and good times; and has been invaded by band types because their activity does not permit the superior performance level that drum corps by nature provides...that is the nature of the beast, folks...more over, drum corps (DCI, anyway) is controlled by band types like George Hopkins who want to march saxaphones and anything else that suits their fancy...unfortunately, when the Legion and the VFW lost control of Drum Corps, it left the door open for change, good and bad.

Bill

Drum corps have been playing "band music" since they allowed the valve to move back in the 1940's. It is not a recent trend.

I think one thing that needs to be brought up is this: drum corps is Popular art, not fine art. Band-oriented people have tried to convert drum corps to their liking, which unfortunately dismays a lot of fans, as most are not familiar with contemporary band music. I think band music should be played by bands, not drum corps. Drum corps has been about parents, kids, music, and good times; and has been invaded by band types because their activity does not permit the superior performance level that drum corps by nature provides...that is the nature of the beast, folks...more over, drum corps (DCI, anyway) is controlled by band types like George Hopkins who want to march saxaphones and anything else that suits their fancy...unfortunately, when the Legion and the VFW lost control of Drum Corps, it left the door open for change, good and bad.

Bill

Drum corps have been playing "band music" since they allowed the valve to move back in the 1940's. It is not a recent trend.

That may be true in some respects, but its no secret that bands have adapted drum and bugle corps style because it was less choppy and more profesional. It was band that found our style more desirable than their own.

Each year, for the past six or seven years, the Crossmen Alumni Association has sponsored something we call "History Night." We gather at the spring training facility for the corps, assemble in a large classroom or auditorium, and basically take the kids on a trip down memory lane. Originally, it was a basic slide show with special guest speakers to talk about each era. Last year, we changed it into a VERY entertaining and informative PowerPoint display, complete with a soundtrack of corps music playing in the background. The old pictures, the old uniforms, the old hair-do's, seeing some pics of staff members from when they marched. It's an absolute blast. The highlight of last year's event came when alum Robbie Robinson, who won the DCI snare I&E three years in a row (1979-1981, IIRC), showed up and played a snare solo for the kids. He brought down the house! They ate it up!

Man I love that idea. My thoughts are a lot of the current members would enjoy and appreciate the history of their corps and DC in general if they just had a chance to hear that history first hand.

Also feel respect is picked up from the staff. This goes for both the past for Junior coprs and current Senior corps.

Kudos Crossmen.... :)

I second that! Great job Crossman alumni!! ^OO^

I'm new school I guess (this is my 5th year marching) but I'm with a DCA corps and never marched Jr corps.

For me, I had zero clue about the history or anything. I had friends that marched DCI and it looked fun so I thought I'd give it a try in DCA (I auditioned my age-out year at Magic in 98 but was cut)

Anyways - DCA finals my very first year we got to see the alumni show and I was amazed. I'm a big history nut anyways, but I just loved learning about all the stuff about the guard, no pit, off the line stuff. It was neat to know that I was part of this big evolution of drum corps. That feeling was furthered when last year Caballeros hosted CorpsVets in their corps hall and we got to see the "trophy wall" It's just amazing to see how long they had been around and what they'd been through and accomplished.

I'm a big history nut anyways, but I just loved learning about all the stuff about the guard, no pit, off the line stuff. It was neat to know that I was part of this big evolution of drum corps. That feeling was furthered when last year Caballeros hosted CorpsVets in their corps hall and we got to see the "trophy wall" It's just amazing to see how long they had been around and what they'd been through and accomplished.

Know the feeling Lisa. One of the nice things about practicing in the AL Post in Hanover is the history (literally) hanging on the walls and the long time members willing to talk to you. As a horn player I still can't get over what was accomplished with the bugle set ups. As a DC history buff myself, I would just love to hear what a corps with one valve bugles and animal skin headed drums would sound like.

"It has a lot to do with where they march and the philosophies of the organization. There are many corps out there that only have a short history. Many of the historic corps that are still around (Cadets, Boston, SCV) don't seem to have members on here posting (maybe they can't).. so who's to say how they view historical drum corps"

In the context of face to face interaction with corps members all I can say is the guys that I see at Cavalier events are exceptionally respectful to the point of embarassment. Those guys have made me feel like a rock star on more than one occassion. I talked to one kid who probably knew more history about the years I marched than I cared to remember. As someone stated earlier I think corps with a tradition of remembering their history tend to honor the people who came before them and realize that they will be in the stands one day too.

(Sorry, haven't figured out how to do double quotes in one posting)

Absolutely agree. Additionally it has a lot to do with the leadership of the corps. Only because it is closer to home I know Jeff Fieldler makes sure that everyone currently marching realizes what the corps roots are. Our alumni are proud and many are still active in the corps. I am sure many of the "older" corps can say the same. Personally, I am proud to say that I was part of the Cavaliers when times were VERY tough and to be honest, The Cavaliers were VERY close to folding. A year doesn't go by when someone from the corps will come up to me and say "Thank you so much for keep this thing going for us back during the 'The Dark Years'" (a term us alumni use when talking about marching in the Cavaliers in the '70's)

Edited by dc oldtimer

:bleah:

Hey Lisa!

You mean to tell me that the Cabs only have 'a wall'? With their history, I'd expect they would have an entire wing of the Legion post just for the hardware they've won.

Out here, there has been somewhat of a renaissance with the current management of MBI and it's alums and history. More of us have been coming around to Brass' show, and some of the staff have made larger strides to make the younger, less experiencd members aware of the history of MBI, and its predecessors, both Jr. and Sr.

Some of us still like to get in the faces of management, just to remind them that what they have is as a direct result of the efforts and mistakes that were made in the past, and that just because we aren't marching, we aren't worth their time.

Bottom line is: Welcome your vets and alums. They are the reason you still have units to march with..as much as their 'war stories' may seem trite and stale, many of those stories open minds to a time when this fraternity was more than just a competitive arena, it was (and still is) a way of life, regardless of the type of drum, key of your horn, 1, 2 or 3 valves, pit or not, symmetrical or asymmetrical.

As time goes on, your treatment of those people sets an example to them and to the people that will someday do the same for you.

Sorry- I can get a little carried away. This is an issue close to my heart, and always will be..Thanks for the time to vent!

Pat

:ramd:

Drum corps have been playing "band music" since they allowed the valve to move back in the 1940's.  It is not a recent trend.

That may be true in some respects, but its no secret that bands have adapted drum and bugle corps style because it was less choppy and more profesional. It was band that found our style more desirable than their own.

In the 1970's bands adopted just about everything drum corps did. They took the arranging styles, drill concepts, color guard techniques, judging system, competition, bugles (renamed marching brass), judges, arrangers, designers, and instructors. You name it, it went over to the marching band arena. It was all labeled corps style back then and started the push towards competitive marching band. Now today some people label corps bands. Whodathunkit? :bleah: