What's The Big Deal

2COOLVK.

If I had the money (and I mean a lot of money) the Velvet Knights would live again.

I loved seeing that 1990 show from the sideline the few times I had the chance.

We need VK back, badly...this activity takes itself waaaay to seriously now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2COOLVK.

If I had the money (and I mean a lot of money) the Velvet Knights would live again.

Plus the chicks in bikinis in those classic VK shows were HAWT!

(b**bs) (b**bs)

I've seen it from both sides. But, let the newbs get older, they'll find what they're missing (some might find it before they even marched, hehe.) I've seen a couple videos of Madison: one from the 50s and one from the 70s. One show had this 4 way pass-through and it I thought they were gonna kill themselves. And just listening to some of the older shows makes me kinda wish for a couple theme-less shows.

Toby (I haven't marched yet, but I like old and new.)

Personally I like old corps better than the new...and i'm young. It seems to me it was more about fun back then. Of course competion was important....but the look of the people and the shows....it was just so much different, and in my opinion much much better. And yes the bikini girls in the old VK shows are very nice.

And yes the bikini girls in the old VK shows are very nice.

Not when they lie about their age, are 26 years old, and married....

:bleah:

(Hey...I'm friends with Charlie Groh for crying out loud...he's historical!! And hysterical!!)

Tell me about it! Who ELSE would bring a marching interval stick toa BRASS SECTIONAL???

Must be his Staff of Power!

Knows his stuff, tho! And he explains marching theory and minutae in the same way I teach sabre fencing, so I pick up what he's saying easily.

Ok, story time...this one I'd love to hear!

Well, not disqualify us from our 1987 7th place finishing or anything...so I'll say I can neither confirm (wink) nor deny (wink wink) the veracity of this story (wink wink wink--sorry something in my eye!!). Anyway--

The 1987 "Bikini Girl" was someone we picked up after the Pacific Procession show. She actually came up to me and said she used to march soprano with the San Francisco Conquistadors and wondered if we had any openings. I took her to I believe our visual caption head Jay Long and horn guru Dave Carico and let them deal with her. So she marched soprano for the rest of the season, but Bobby Hoffman used her for the closing production because of her, how should I say, "endowments". (Note to self--most California "bikini" girls don't look like they're from New Jersey--just watch the 87 show and you'll know what I mean). Anyway--she attempted to call me a few times after tour trying I think in retrospect to see if I was "available", but knowing she left behind a husband to tour with us, I was not interested. She also told me that she was 26 years old...and that of course ###### me off because she was endangering VK's placement that year by being overaged. I can't even remember her name but I'm not really caring at this point. And that's the story that I can neither confirm nor deny...

But I'm stickin' to it!!

Ok, story time...this one I'd love to hear!

Well, not disqualify us from our 1987 7th place finishing or anything...so I'll say I can neither confirm (wink) nor deny (wink wink) the veracity of this story (wink wink wink--sorry something in my eye!!). Anyway--

The 1987 "Bikini Girl" was someone we picked up after the Pacific Procession show. She actually came up to me and said she used to march soprano with the San Francisco Conquistadors and wondered if we had any openings. I took her to I believe our visual caption head Jay Long and horn guru Dave Carico and let them deal with her. So she marched soprano for the rest of the season, but Bobby Hoffman used her for the closing production because of her, how should I say, "endowments". (Note to self--most California "bikini" girls don't look like they're from New Jersey--just watch the 87 show and you'll know what I mean). Anyway--she attempted to call me a few times after tour trying I think in retrospect to see if I was "available", but knowing she left behind a husband to tour with us, I was not interested. She also told me that she was 26 years old...and that of course ###### me off because she was endangering VK's placement that year by being overaged. I can't even remember her name but I'm not really caring at this point. And that's the story that I can neither confirm nor deny...

But I'm stickin' to it!!

Who's got pics?

I was listening to a local sports radio broadcast yesterday and they were talking to three old NFL veterans, two of them Hall of Famers. One question they were asked was what they thought of how the NFL has changed since they played. I heard a lot of the same arguments people post here, such as today's players tend to only think about themselves and they do not respect the old schoolers and what strides they made for today's players to do what they can now do.

And like on DCP, one of the old players brought perspective to the argument. He brought up the point that he was sure there are people who came before them who say the same things about them that they are saying about today's players.

I said this a while back, although there are a lot of differences between old and new schoolers, there are also many similarities between them, too, such as practicing on brutally hot fields, eating terrible food, taking ice cold showers every morning, long bus rides, the thrill of performing in competition, and most importantly, the comraderie that comes from doing things together. That transcends the generations and is what binds all of us together.

Live the dream called drum and bugle corps!!!

2COOLVK.

Plus the chicks in bikinis in those classic VK shows were HAWT!

(b**bs) (b**bs)

Bawker thats what I was saying. Nothing more or less. We need some crazyness like VK or Bayonne :)