What's The Big Deal

It seems to me that todays members don't really appreciate the so called "Old Schoolers" Just by reading through these threads when a old schooler voices their opinion some KID comes and tries to knock him down. Now I'm not going to go off on a tangent but some of us "OLD TIMERS" haven't been around drum corps for a while and some of our ideas may be not to your standards. Just let me say one thing "If it wasn't for us OLD TIMERS you young people wouldn't have a pot to spit into" So lets just have some consideration on here, please. After all, we're here for the enjoyment and betterment of DRUM & BUGLE CORPS, right?????? :( :bleah: :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^OO^ Absolutly!! Great Point Old Dutch Boy. There was a time, even not that long ago when the members loved to listen to the alumni and even take some advice. And while I don't think the majority of the kids today are that way,,there are quite a few on DCP that are full of themselves, enough to be rude to the older folks, who handed down their activity. Great Point

As an old-schooler, I don't completely agree - yes, there are some who tend to ignore their drum corps history (which really means any era before THEY were involved!) and the old-timers, but ya gotta understand part of the problem lies with the way they've been taught and the world they've grown up in - the focus on self over others, the expectation of instant gratification, the demand for automatic respect without having necessarily earned it, and the unbelievably bad influences and role models they have in today's culture.

Also remember that many are still quite young, so some of what you see isn't unusual behavior.

As a new-schooler and especially as a fan of today's drum corps, I think there is one factor you should not overlook. Think about how often on these boards you read "old-schoolers" who are very critical of drum corps today, demanding that it be more like what it was when they marched. Rob, you're right that a lot has changed in America since your drum corps days, but these changes are reflected in drum corps, as well. Rather than respect that, I all too often read from some "crusty veteran" who dismisses today's shows and preaches about the glory days of the time when they marched. Well, I didn't become a fan of drum corps fan back then, I became a fan in the late 90's, and drum corps as it is now is what I enjoy.

I know that each side is giong to think that they are right, and likewise each side is going to believe that they aren't respected by the other. However, one thing we can hopefully agree on is that respect is a two-way street, and each side bears part of the guilt. One thing that hasn't changed, Rob, is that respect must still be earned, and many of the veterans I read from on these boards haven't done much to earn my respect. Though of course, many have, as well.

I agree with all of the above messages. I wasn't saying all of todays kids are like that because some of the oldies raised some of these kids. Some good, some bad.

My point was this, just because someone who is older and has gone through many years of drum corps many years ago don't cut them down because you don't agree with them. Think about what they are saying and if you can take something from it great. Most of the people in these forums are here because we loved the activity although some of us, me included, find some of the changes a bit to drastic.

We all like to share our experiences in drum corps, read them, laugh and cry about them, learn from them, as I have learned from a lot of you. :D :D :D

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

once again, Great point. And like I said its not the majority of kids and visa versa. I'm not sure if I like the term "Crusty" though :P LOL

just remember though, Ten years from now who will be the old vets :(

Edited by BariBrian

I am proud to be part of the Spirit ORG. Great bunch of Alumni and great new young people doing what we did. We have a wonderful relationship with the young musicians, and the respect is mutual. :)

It has a lot to do with where they march and the philosophies of the organization. There are many corps out there that only have a short history. Many of the historic corps that are still around (Cadets, Boston, SCV) don't seem to have members on here posting (maybe they can't).. so who's to say how they view historical drum corps.

I know when I marched Crown, we were 3 years old. Not a lot of history, but I soaked it up. In 1992, most of the corps (new ones too), had 1990 and 1991 recordings... fewer had older. I would probably say that most members are MOST interested in the last 2 years, because that is the activity that drew them in. Some members want to know more about history, but not sure that is the norm. I don't think it's a *drum corps* problem.. but rather, it seems people are less interested in knowing all the details of the history of the activity they participate...

I mean.. how many football players want to know who invented it? Where it Started? Who were the first teams?

Most just want to play the game they like.

some want to know history, but it's not necessary to enjoy the activity.

just a slight parallel...

Also, there are just as many *old timers* attacking *new timers*. As someone somewhere in the middle, it's very obvious from both sides.

To psiguy:

Your comments are true in all regards. I've noticed that there are some "old schoolers" who react somewhat stronger to criticism than others.

I guess if everybody just took a deep breathe and realized that nothing on these forums is ever going change anything at DCI we'll all be that much more happier.

:P :P :P

If my only exposure to some of the "old timers" were some of the characters up on RAMD (which is all I had before DCP), I don't think I'd really be too interested in drum corps history. I have a natural affinity to historical things (Hey...I'm friends with Charlie Groh for crying out loud...he's historical!! And hysterical!!), and I certainly appreciate the entire activity and how it has evolved over the years. Whether or not I enjoyed the music and style of years ago drum corps, I CAN appreciate the amount of work and the culture and the stories/legend that make up our unique microcosm.

But folks...you know you're an "old guy" when you read, at times, some "new kid" saying, "WHO ARE THE VELVET KNIGHTS!??" Man--you might as well stick in a knife in me...slowly... :)

Edited by Ryan H. Turner