What's The Big Deal

I like that line about being "links in the chain." I think a lot of us "Silver Backs" feel that we were strong links in our time, or at least tried very hard to be.

Why I try not to be too critical about "now" is simply because I remember those times when I sat across the table from some of the people who were soon to be on the cutting edge of "modern" drum corps. I remember doing copy work for Wayne Downey back in the old pencil and manuscript paper while he was still marching SCV back in 72, and getting good feedback from him on my own arrangements....and sitting on the bench at SCV practices just in awe of Gail Royer sitting next to me, and a year earlier remembering how it felt to have Mr. Royer come over to see "my" hornline, the 1971 Lynwood Diplomats, warm up before a gig and seeing him smile at my arrangement of "To Life," which I had done as a respectful tip-of-the-shako to him.

And I now wonder if it was Gail Royer who was the individuals judge when I won 66 Cal State Open Bari Individuals....playing "Variations on Fiddler On The Roof." Who knew that would be such a SCV staple just a few years later? Especially since SCV hadn't even been invented yet.....still The Sparks, I think.

And to sit and watch Gail Royer and Don Angelica work on "Superstar" for the 71 Lynwood Diplomats (Gail wrote a couple measures of mellophone parts that Angelica had asked him to fill in: Angelica looks at Royer and says "Gail, that's sooooo Jewish!").

Or to have the oppprtunity to follow Jim Ott for the half-season I got to work Mandarin's hornline with Stan Knaub doing the M&M work.

Or for that matter having Pete Emmons as my M&M instructor and Fred Sanford on percussion for the 67 Anaheim Kingsmen.....must give Rocco credit as well.

You know, the real innovators of West Coast drum corps and Angelica, the master from the East.....and to be associated as a competitor Kingsmen with VK and Impulse! guru Charle Groh and the rest of the SoCal boyz.

Need I mention how intimidated I was when Mr. Ken Norman came to one of my debauches, err, "parties" and he started looking at some of my first tries at arranging for the Lakewood Ambassadors? Nothing like somebody so legendary inspecting your charts to make you feel unworthy!

So as I said, it would be dishonest to be too entirely critical of today's drum corps as it is presented.......simply because I was there watching "today" be born and yes, even doing my own little part to send it on its way before I left the activity for some 30 years (except for watching the videos and coming out to a show once in a while as a bleacher rat).

Drum corps has been about innovation for as long as I knew about the activity, being lucky to be active between the then "old guard" instructors of the early 60s, who were probably griping about the future of corps and the "modernists" of the late 60s and early 70s who were determined to make something more out of it.

My complaints are usually about the televised version of the drum corps experience over the last couple of years....but what do you expect from somebody who's older than TV, eh?

All respect to performers and instructors past and present......

"Links in a chain"......I like that a lot!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the changes that the Bridgemen made in the 70's, re: marching style and their uniforms really made me mad. Mad that we hadn't thought of it before and mad that we were busting our butts with a high knee lift and the fact their feet were just barely off the grass. <_<

The Bridgemen added an element to drum corps that was sorely needed in that

period, it was unique and it made people talk about them. Look it's been since '78 when I last saw them and I'm still talking about them.

Not only were Bridgemen entertaining but they, I thought, executed extremely well also.

Any kind of change in that field is cool with me but when you start making the wide spread changes that some people are talking about with regards to electronics, they had better make absolutely positive that the kids that use these electronics are GROUNDED when it rains outside!!!!!!!

:whip:

once again, Great point. And like I said its not the majority of kids and visa versa. I'm not sure if I like the term "Crusty" though :P LOL

just remember though, Ten years from now who will be the old vets :(

Crusty??? Are you sure Rob wasn't refering to his old uniform? (inside joke, right Rob?) :whip:

TO SusanTaylor40 :

I don't know what you're referring to but I can assure you is wasn't me!!!

You have to go back to the first page and read what ROBH had to say...

Get back to me after you read it. :whip:

From what I've seen you only get as much respect as you give no matter who you are. If your going to talk down to anyone then your not going to have a very receptive audience. I know that some day I'll be talking about my time in corps with nostalgia, but to me, this IS the activity, because its what I first experienced, and have gone through

I'm young in the big picture (recent age-out), and in my experience most of todays members would gladly sit and listen to alumni stories at length. I love finding out as much as I can about the activity, and enjoy watching the older shows, but at the same time I grew up in the age of accelerated drill, and as such, I have a much diffrent outlook on the activity.

Some of the things that hurt "oldies" is that they forget a couple basic things. Members today are making much more of a sacrifice than members of yore. Today there are many more options, its quite expensive, and talent levels are quite high. Members today face much more physical demand than members before the mid-80's (yes, it was hard before that, but not nearly as demanding). Oh yes, and don't forget that current members are still young and impulsive - not as seasoned as those of you who've been around much longer. SO, no, this is not the same activity you participated in on the surface, but yes it is on a deeper level.

Drum corps still serves to teach its members to be hard working, loyal, driven individuals that are very capable of being quite successful in life. Part of what drives many corps members is living up to the levels of excellence set by the earlier versions of their corps.

Edited by raphael18

w/Stp:...Sans the Stupid part.

You're right Raephel18, the shows of today are more demanding than most of the

shows of the 70's and 80's. However, we both worked just as hard because what we were doing was evolutionary to the shows of the 50's and 60's.

I sit in the stands and hear other alumni talk about the things that the corps of

the 90's and today are doing and let me tell you something, it's fantastic. Unlike some alumni who sit back and try to find fault with the things that you do in your show, I sit back and enjoy every show.

The respect that most of the alumni have for todays members isn't shown as openly as it probably should be but it's there. As the old saying goes:

"It comes from the heart."

You might see posts in hear from alumni who take punches, me included, at

The Powers in charge but don't take this a crack at todays members because it's

not. It's just that when you have passion for something you don't like to see it

ruined.

Enjoy your summer and have a great time competing. :whip:

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet