Uniform Changes

For me it's a toss-up between Phantom Regiments move to khaki a few years back (not really a bad uni but it totally lost the PR identity) and the new one the Madison Scouts have. Best uni change in my opinion goes to Blue Knights getting rid of the big "buttons".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there was a year that VK entered the fieild wearing the same thing that they had on the year before, and it all worked out for the best.

You can't forget Spirit in '88 coming out in the white Star Trek uni's. Terrible!!!

One year--I can't remember when it was--they came out with what we called a "Keystone Cops" look. Just didn't work for me. I think that whenever corps drop a signature of their identity--and for me, the delta on Spirit's uniform is part of their identity--the corps loses some of its connection with the audience.

Ignoring the appearance of the uniform and just focusing on that aspect, Oakland sure did blow it in '80. Other than the colors, that uniform had no connection with Oakland's past, and so when we came on the field, the audience had no idea who we were. Bad move. . . .

I was bummed when Pioneer moth-balled the khaki pants and spats. They looked great, and set the corps apart from all the other black/white panted corps. I'm neutral on the Roman hats.

As far as Madison unis... I think the new unis are great. I like them better than the previous unis. BUT, I was bummed when they moth-balled the green Explorer Scout uniforms, complete with spats and neckerchief. Those were among my all time favorites.

Worst all time unis (IMO) is a tie between Cavies Spin Cycle guard unis, and the biker babe guard unis of the Colts the year they played Blood Sweat and Tears.

Edited by J.C.

Oh puhleeze! Don't even get me started on guard "costumes". I'm sure some of the designers just sit around and think "how can I make these kids look really ridiculous?" Not too mention designing guard stuff that may look good on a runway model but has no concern for less than spectacular body shapes.

Not too mention designing guard stuff that may look good on a runway model but has no concern for less than spectacular body shapes.

I happen to agree with you, but unfortunately, this is becoming a vicious circle. Many corps are only accepting certain "body types" into their guards . . . and I have no doubt that many girls (and perhaps guys, too) are willing to risk their health in order to achieve this look. One only has to examine what goes on in the dance world--in terms of pressure to have a rail-thin "dancer's" body, and the subsequent eating disorders many dancers develop--to know this is true.

Freelancers 1985. What a mess.

Lets see...

1. I like Pioneers new hats, They are completly different, and look very..."butch". I liked the Kakhi pants, but it was to dark of a kakhi, I think if it was just a little bit lighter it would have worked a little better.

2. I hate scouts new uniforms. With a capital H....

3. I kind of miss Glassmen's early 90's uniforms. They were unique, and very...interesting. But then again I have no fasion sense.

4. I was VERY happy to see Phantom lose the Kahki uniform.

5. I haven't really liked a Crossman Uni since the early 90's white pants/black jacket uni.

I think that's about all the griping I can do...