Info for the Red Carpet Association

While back someone asked about Preliminary competitions in RCA. Watched the Pheonix DVD last night and 1975 RCA in Hamilton, Ont had a Prelim and total of 15 corps competed. Contest held at Ivor Wynn Stadium (heh my wifes maiden name). Pheonix took high captions except for Color Guard (Lancers).

Also had a DM retreat only as it rained off and on that evening. And DCA the following week had NOBODY on the field for retreat as the Rochester monsoon season started that night.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While back someone asked about Preliminary competitions in RCA.  Watched the Pheonix DVD last night and 1975 RCA in Hamilton, Ont had a Prelim and total of 15 corps competed.  Contest held at Ivor Wynn Stadium (heh my wifes maiden name). Pheonix took high captions except for Color Guard (Lancers).

Also had a DM retreat only as it rained off and on that evening. And DCA the following week had NOBODY on the field for retreat as the Rochester monsoon season started that night.

Prelims?,..............15 Corps?,................wow, do you have scores for prelims?

What kills me about that year is Erie took third at RCA 5+ points behind Phoenix, then the next week they beat us by almost 17 points at DCA,.........WTF?

Red Carpet Association Championships

23 August 1975 Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

1. The Phoenix 88.06

2. Guelph Royalaires 83.53

3. Erie Thunderbirds 82.85

DCA World Championships31 August 1975 -

Rochester, NYHollendar Stadium

5. Phoenix Rochester, NY 85.20

9. Erie Thunderbirds Erie, PA 68.03

Hanover beat Dunkirk at RCA by 14 points only to get beaten the next week by Dunkirk by 2 points at DCA Prelims,.............were the systems really that different?

Prelims?,..............15 Corps?,................wow, do you have scores for prelims?

Wish I did, only repeating what was said on the DVD. For a few of the shows there are shots of scores written into a program. RCA Prelims scores not shown at all. I'll have to check to see if there are any scores or shows that Ron doesn't have on his site.

LOL, show in York, PA that year didn't come out too well because of "poor lighting of the field". Must be the show I remember from 76 or 77 where you could barely see and there was a snow fence in the back that screwed up corps setting up for their opening drill. Whadda mess... Must have been the White Roses (or was it Chocolatiers-White Roses) show.

:rolleyes:

no doubt!

Roger is the man on this stuff,................

I wish we were all closer. I'd love to get to know some of this stuff from the guys/gals that were there. Now it's catch-as-catch-can.

,.............were the systems really that different?

I don't know about the system, but the judges were different. Many judges were thought to be in the pocket of various corps directors. Don't get me started on Johnsonburg. Maybe that was the ultimate demise of RCA.

I didn't march 75, but in 76 Thunderbirds I remember hearing complaints all year about it. Word at the time was that Phoenix had padded their ranks with 15 or so DCI "ringers" between RCA and DCA. Dunno if that's true or not. They certainly backed it up with a great corps and show in 76.

Either way, Phoenix was pretty cool and I really enjoyed doing shows with them. It was a sad day when they opted out of RCA. Of course, that meant we won more shows, but... I'd rather lose in a great show than win a lame one.

Edited by Eggbert

What kills me about that year is Erie took third at RCA 5+ points behind Phoenix, then the next week they beat us by almost 17 points at DCA,.........WTF?

Hanover beat Dunkirk at RCA by 14 points only to get beaten the next week by Dunkirk by 2 points at DCA Prelims,.............were the systems really that different?

Man I just checked and we (Westshore) beat Hanover by 1.5+ and were behind Dunkirk by .3 at '75 DCA Prelims. Wierd as we had a field DM screw up that probably cost us 1 or 2 points in tics.

Weirder as we came in last place every show in '74 (DCA and RCA) until the week before DCA when we finally knocked off the Interstatesmen and Blue Rock.

Johnsonburg, PA LMAO.... Only time I was there a cop threatened to arrest half the corps for sitting on the curb with our feet on the edge of the main road. He drove up and with a smile on his face asked us to move. Then he went around the block and when he saw we hadn't moved yet he went ballistic. We jumped back to the sidewalk and when we saw him coming back for a third time we decided to head back for the buses.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Wish I did, only repeating what was said on the DVD. For a few of the shows there are shots of scores written into a program. RCA Prelims scores not shown at all. I'll have to check to see if there are any scores or shows that Ron doesn't have on his site.

Found 'em,...................I get my hands on the prelims scores and recaps tonight,...........and from what I hear,..............they should make for some interesting fodder,..................

Then in 76,Johnsonburg beat Dunkirk by 13 at Rca championship,then Dunkirk beat them at Dca.

Now you made me look :P

RCA: J-burg came in 2nd between Erie and Westshore. Think we were chasing them all year in '76 but not totally sure as shows in '76/'77 have combined in my mind. :rolleyes:

DCA: J-burg behind Erie, Westshore, Guelph, Hanover, Dunkirk and Hamburg.... A five corps drop in one week???

Things that make you go WT#

PS - Picturing Gary rubbing his hands together and doing an evil laugh waiting for the '75 scores. :P