Info for the Red Carpet Association

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what year did the corps merge?

Think it's buried in the Grennies write up in History of Drum Corps. Will have to check but thought it was a two year deal, something like 75-76.

Interesting, Rons site has Kingston Yardsmen listed for 1975 RCA and Kingston Grenadiers-Yardsmen for 1976. Also has York White Roses for 75/76 and know 1976 it was Chocolatiers/White Roses merger corps. Not sure about 1975.

Ain't old records (not recordings) fun Gary. :doh:

what year did the corps merge?

Hi Gary If my memory serves me correctly they merged in 1975

Hi all...I am putting together the history of the Sudbury Imperial Knights, RCA 1972-76, on the following web site

http://www.drumcorpswiki.com/Imperial_Knights%2C_Sudbury . It lists many scores from contest that the IK were in and of course lists many scores from corps that you marched with. Anything you can add to my research would be of great help (thanks to Gary for 1975 scores) :rolleyes:

Hi all...I am putting together the history of the Sudbury Imperial Knights, RCA 1972-76, on the following web site

http://www.drumcorpswiki.com/Imperial_Knights%2C_Sudbury . It lists many scores from contest that the IK were in and of course lists many scores from corps that you marched with. Anything you can add to my research would be of great help (thanks to Gary for 1975 scores) :rolleyes:

Thanks John, sad to think that the only time I was in the same show as Imperial Knights was their last show at 1976 RCA Championships at Erie. :(

Sadder to think when their name was announced all we said was "Who?". :(

Ain't old records (not recordings) fun Gary. :rolleyes:

Gives me a headache at times,.................even doing research on the Tbirds, I find show programs and other print material from the same year, with the same photos and stuff, but contradicting info in the write-ups,.................

I just wish we could get a show in Kingston. We have Richardson Stadium on Queen's campus which would hold quite a few people.

We had the pleasure of competing in Kingston several times (73 & 75) and Belleville (75).

In my research I see we also competed at the 10th Annual Parade of Drums in Kingston...any idea what year that was? What I know was that Kingston finished 1st, Sudbury 2nd ,and Lindsay 3rd. You beat us by just over a point and we took best GE, M&M, and Colour Guard trophies. Were there other corps there?

We had the pleasure of competing in Kingston several times (73 & 75) and Belleville (75).

In my research I see we also competed at the 10th Annual Parade of Drums in Kingston...any idea what year that was? What I know was that Kingston finished 1st, Sudbury 2nd ,and Lindsay 3rd. You beat us by just over a point and we took best GE, M&M, and Colour Guard trophies. Were there other corps there?

Again, I'm not too sure. WAY before my time :P Don Dean, the corps director for the Grenadiers would know I'm sure. I'll send an e-mail pointing him to this thread and hopefully he'll chime in.

Don Dean, the corps director for the Grenadiers would know I'm sure. I'll send an e-mail pointing him to this thread and hopefully he'll chime in.

That would be great if he joins in and especially if he he has access to old Grennie records, programs etc. to aid in my research. Director of your corps way back during my time was John Raymond

• 2 weeks later...
That would be great if he joins in and especially if he he has access to old Grennie records, programs etc. to aid in my research. Director of your corps way back during my time was John Raymond

Good-day folks,

Some Kingston staff moved from Grennies in 1974 to Belleville Yardman in hopes of improving the corps in RCA. After that season, which was a tough one and discussions between the Late John Raymond and and the late Hugh Bondy it was decided the 2 organizattions amalgamate hence the Grenadier Yardmen. The Yardman name based on a successful lottery based in Belleville which was their sponsor as well.

We took on a staff largely influenced by Cadets La Salle and operated for the next 2 years which a much larger corps than any of us could imagine from our area.

The demise of the corps at that time (76) as I saw in years after was 2 fold. The relative lack of a successful showing in Hamilton that year although the corps was beginning to gel and John`s missed opportunity which was taking the corps to DCA`s which would of been a top ten finish.

This was always a motivating factor when I took over as director in the early 80`s. By the mid 90`s both Dave Orser and I thought the time was right to move ahead. We competed in 95 and finished 12th ahead of Dynamic and began our journey to the top 10.We are proud of being in the top 10 for longest of any corps from Canada and the first to take a DCA Class A championship out of the US.

As far as the Parade Of Drums John..............3 senior corps as you mentioned and 2 "Junior Corps" my wife tells me "The Ventures" and Peterborough Crescendo`s.

Cheers Don