DCA STORIES POST 1990

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1995, Cumberland MD.

back when the back gate had the gates that swung into the post in the middle.

We're lined up for Olympic retreat....won't name the corps to our left, Kilties on the right. Now, Shore's drumline was known for being intense. We didn't move, we didn't flinch, we didn't BS. We stood there and glared. usually while chaos ensued around us.

Corps to our left decides to be..well...######## ot our female bass player. specifically their tenors. Kilties tipped myself and bass #2 to this, we waited patiently. As we got close to the gates, we slid left, and paced ourselves to be even with their tenors, who continued to be ########.

and boom, all 4 tenors met cast iron gate as bass #2 and i showed them not to mess w/our girl.

did you know that tenors hitting gate doesnt make a pretty sound? :P

1995, Cumberland MD.

back when the back gate had the gates that swung into the post in the middle.

We're lined up for Olympic retreat....won't name the corps to our left, Kilties on the right. Now, Shore's drumline was known for being intense. We didn't move, we didn't flinch, we didn't BS. We stood there and glared. usually while chaos ensued around us.

Corps to our left decides to be..well...######## ot our female bass player. specifically their tenors. Kilties tipped myself and bass #2 to this, we waited patiently. As we got close to the gates, we slid left, and paced ourselves to be even with their tenors, who continued to be ########.

and boom, all 4 tenors met cast iron gate as bass #2 and i showed them not to mess w/our girl.

did you know that tenors hitting gate doesnt make a pretty sound? :P

LOL I LOVE it! Keep 'em coming!

This is REAL drum corps history!

1990, Piitsburgh I think. After the show we're having a corps meeting, going over the agenda for the next few weeks.

car drives by yelling. director says "they come by again, get em"

they did.

and 128 people gave chase.

they went from 10 to 80 really fast :P

1995, at the DCA I&E and mini-corps show:

Heat Wave from Orlando, who wasn't out as a field corps yet, competed in the mini-corps show. The tune they played? "Heat Wave."

The crowd went nuts at the end of their show... a big standing "O." Lots of folks yelling for Heat Wave to play an encore.

So Heat Wave played an encore. It was..... "Heat Wave." Apparently it was the only tune they had put together for this show!!!!

That became a running gag for the rest of the night.... people yelling for other mini-corps to play "Heat Wave" as an encore. And Sunday night at DCA Finals, the Boston Crusaders senior corps did an exhibition. Somewhere in the middle of their show, some fan stood up and yelled "Play 'Heat Wave'!!!!!" Too funny!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

1995, Cumberland MD....

Nice story Jeff.

1995 Cumerland was a special show for the Kilties. It was our first ever DCA sanctioned performance, and even though we were a little rough around the edges, we were well received by both the audience and the members of the other corps.

Both of our busses broke down on the way out. We spent much of Saturday morning in a music ensemble rehearsal in a field next to a truck stop where the busses were being worked on. We were scheduled to perform first at that show, but one of our busses broke down a second time about 50 miles outside of Cumberland. We sent the good bus into town, dropped off the members, and had it come back for the people on the second bus. I remember arriving at the stadium at around 7PM. The stadium was full, the show had begun, and most of the other corps were already in uniform and warming up. DCA graciously let us go on last at the show, which gave us just enough time to unload, get in uniform and warm up for about 10 minutes. We had a terrible visual performance which is not surprising since we hadn't done a run through of the drill in at least 2 weeks. But the performance was loud and spirited, and the crowd loved it. We trooped the stands with Scotland the Brave, and as we exited the stadium, Jimmy Russo stood at the gate and shook hands with everyone in the corps. Very Classy!

I sure wish the Cumberland show was still on the DCA schedule.

1990, Piitsburgh I think. After the show we're having a corps meeting, going over the agenda for the next few weeks.

car drives by yelling. director says "they come by again, get em"

they did.

and 128 people gave chase.

they went from 10 to 80 really fast :P

Remember rehearsal that day in Pittsburgh? On the grounds of the then Western PA Psychiatric Hospital . . complete with patients as an audience, who, well, actually decided at some point that it would be fun to be a part of the Westshoremen on the practice field!!!

Who scored that facility, I don't know - but at least it was memorable!

I sure wish the Cumberland show was still on the DCA schedule.

I hear ya. Always a great crowd there, and the folks running the show really went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome.

Fran

awesome crowd there