1992 Velvet Knights

Interesting trivia about that show. There is a soprano soloist in the show that was 22 that year. He marched with VK through '95. He Tried to march with BD in '96 but they found out his real age and he disappeared before they could get their hands on him.

Close, but off by a few years. 95 was his true age out year. He was 22 when he showed up at BD in 96 <**> . We always joked that he really aged out in 69 then went to Nam, came back and continued marching. :P

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting trivia about that show. There is a soprano soloist in the show that was 22 that year. He marched with VK through '95. He Tried to march with BD in '96 but they found out his real age and he disappeared before they could get their hands on him.

Close, but off by a few years. 95 was his true age out year. He was 22 when he showed up at BD in 96 <**> . We always joked that he really aged out in 69 then went to Nam, came back and continued marching. :P

Not so sure about the facts there Dave.... :P

The Randy stories I have could be a bestseller.

Not so sure about the facts there Dave.... :P

The Randy stories I have could be a bestseller.

Well I hear he's now marching in some Div III corps in Jersey somewhere. :silly: ^0^

Probably marching with that overage bikini girl from VK 87!!!!!!!!

The shark actually came from Harpeth HS in Tennesee.

If you watch the DVD, you'll see the shark eat the fat lady right at a huge chord change - that was pure luck of timing as it wasn't planned that way - but worked out great. Also, the shark was supposed to end up closer to the 50 yard line, but got caught up on a piece of fabric covering the shark's wheels. He "broke down" on several horn players' final sets. They made a quick adjustment and you could barely notice anything went wrong.

Edited by 2CoolVK

I could not leave on tour with the corps because of work situations but caught up with the corps in Allentown that year. Having missed the two weeks since they left, the improvement was astonding. Mr. 2COOLVK and I sat in the endzone and watched Preview of Champions prelims. The crowd went nuts then, way before the shark. That was a cool show all the way around.

Ha. I was never one for the "antics". I liked this show for the way they marched, the music, and the effective colorguard. Not known for their guard, or their marching for that matter....these two things are often overlooked in a VK show for the drumline and the comedy.

~G~

From what I remember, 92 was one of their better visual packages imo. They made very effective use of their "multi-colored" uniforms, and having a giant inflati-buddy battle between Godzilla and the Energizer Bunny must have been tremendous GE

Absolute great show, hands down! :silly:

The shark actually came from Harpeth HS in Tennesee.

Harpeth!! Wow, totally forgot about that school. Ok, that's it, I'm going straight home after work and watching the video again. No better show to march in your first year of drum corps than that one! Greg, Kitchen-man, Denovi, Bill, Kivet, Flores... All those guys made it a great corps to march.

Everytime I hear "Baby Got Back" I find myself doing the Electric Slide. Is it just me? :silly:

I have the "Corps Pack" of that year. Video showing the Quaters, Semis & Finals shows all on one vid. It cool to see each show be a little different. Something added every night.

P.S. I look at Jim in that dress and he looks like he is enjoying WAY to much. Way to ham it up!!!

• 3 years later...
Played in Fullerton College Jazz Band and Symphonic Winds (96-98) sporting BD T-shirt every chance that shirt was clean. Thought it was funny that you would have never known he marched VK.