BD 2000 "screaming" sound?

CPHBARITONE

My guess would be that they used some kind of "scraper" on a gong, that's what's typically used to create these kind of effects. Spirit did it at the very top of their show in '02, and BD also did it in '95 during their intro. But I could be wrong, because I don't really hear the sound you're referring to on the State of the Art 2 CD's.

Generally, I think that this sound is made by using a string bow on either the edge of the gong or on the vibes. I could be wrong though...

There's an actual instrument out there designed specifically for this sound... I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I remember my school wind ensemble using it during our performance of "Ghost Train"

The sound was made with a gong. Im not sure if BD scraped something against the gong, or used a string bow....but i know ive heard them say before that it was a gong. Check the director commentary on the 2000 DVD's....im pretty sure they comment about it there.

I'm pretty sure the sound you're referring to is made my placing the edge of a great quality cymbal ito the underside of the bell of it's other half and kind of "grinding" the two together. It's a technique that BD loves and used quite a lot during those "dark" mid to late 90's shows.