Back IN The Day

Hey Garry--or anyone else--when did "releases" come in to vogue. I remember back in VK some folks bringing releases to Jack Bevins from other corps....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is happening right now I bet!!!

We had people jumping on the Sky Ryder corps wagon all through the season in 85. I joined before the 2nd tour. I wasn't already in a corps though.

• 3 weeks later...

Malibu,

Wrong on the corps in Florida...That was me and I was the DM with Florida Vanguard.

Actually the way it went down was there was alot of crap going on with the FL. Vanguard at that time and I needed to get out while I could. It just so happened that while in St. Pete before the show I ran into Kelsy and Doug Stimmet that morning at a local restaurant. They overheard me and a couple of other people talking about wanting to leave and started up a conversation with us. I asked Kelssey if he had a spot in the hornline and he said fopr me to come and see him that night at the show. That evening I spoke with Robbie and the deal was done. I hooked up with the corps in Miami and never looked back. Needless to say the years of 1980 through the year of my age out in 1982 were 3 memorable years I will never forget.

Bones forever!!!

Randy

Back in the early '80s we had a guy join our corps only to find out he owed Bridgemen $$......needless to say he was booted out! Now in 1979 while on tour down in FL....Suncoast Sounds DM and another hornplayer quit just before going on the field. He ran to our director and told him he wanted in!

Russell,

Hey man!!!! What's up?

Susan said the guy's name was Jim Taylor, but she can't remember where in the show he brought out the baton. By the way he is now the Contest Coordinator here in the Florida Federation of Color Guard Circuit so I see him pretty much every winter season.

Randy

Actually, the baton twirler was a featured part of Suncoast's concert number in 1983.  I forget the guys name but he was like a state champion at one time and had some awesome skills.

I had organized a talent contest at one of our camps (a tradition started by Tom Float when I was with Spirit of Atlanta) and this guy from the rifle line comes out with batons and swords and blows everybody away. 

We (the staff) decided that we had to find a way to use this guy's talent somewhere in the show.

This was yet another of Suncoast's unique contibutions to Drum Corps, (or maybe the first step toward blurring the line between  Drum Corps and marching band).

I never saw Suncoast's show in 1979 so if there was indeed a baton twirler in that show.... Nevermind.

Randy, good to see ya posting here. Thanks for clarifying Jim Taylor as the guy I was speaking of. He started his routine right after the last set change in concert.

Ya know, I never knew you were DM of the Fla. Vanguard? I thought you were born and raised in Crossmen country!

Russell,

I thought sure you knew I was formerly with the old Fl Vanguard. I guess Susan was so preoccupied with the spiral drill that she never saw anything else...hahaha!!!

Hope you still have my e-mail, Don't suppose you are coming out this way for next weekends show in Orlando. Let me know!!!

Randy

Randy, good to see ya posting here. Thanks for clarifying Jim Taylor as the guy I was speaking of.  He started his routine right after the last set change in concert.

Ya know, I never knew you were DM of the Fla. Vanguard?  I thought you were born and raised in Crossmen country!

Malibu,

Wrong on the corps in Florida...That was me and I was the DM with Florida Vanguard.

Actually the way it went down was there was alot of crap going on with the FL. Vanguard at that time and I needed to get out while I could. It just so happened that while in St. Pete before the show I ran into Kelsy and Doug Stimmet that morning at a local restaurant. They overheard me and a couple of other people talking about wanting to leave and started up a conversation with us. I asked Kelssey if he had a spot in the hornline and he said fopr me to come and see him that night at the show. That evening I spoke with Robbie and the deal was done. I hooked up with the corps in Miami and never looked back. Needless to say the years of 1980 through the year of my age out in 1982 were 3 memorable years I will never forget.

Bones forever!!!

Randy

Oh thanks Randy.....my blonde!

:) I knew it was a corps from FL.....I remember seeing some of your fellow members from FL Vanguard wanting to kick your butt.....basically, our guys in the drumline took care of the situation for you. :P

At the end of 76 early 77 we stole North Stars Drum Major for the 77 and 78 seasons. His best friend was Jerry Noonan, we worked on him for a long time to no avail!

Might I add, had there not been a North Star and more Reveries gone to 2-7, we would have won DCI and been in the top 4 from 75 or 76 to probably this day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Oh thanks Randy.....my blonde!

:)  I knew it was a corps from FL.....I remember seeing some of your fellow members from FL Vanguard wanting to kick your butt.....basically, our guys in the drumline took care of the situation for you.   :P

It was the BOYS bus that had the show down with FL Vanguard in Miami and at Finals in 80.

Vanguard came after Randy in miami as we pulled in for the show. He sent the black belt John S??? out the front door to "talk " to them--while the rest of the "boys" bus went out the back escape---They said we have no problem with you guys --we just want Randy ---By then we were lined up behind them ---And Steve Kiefer replied from the back ---If you got a problem with him --you got a problem with all of US---We are from Philly and we will hurt you !!!( ha )

They left --but did continue to do evil things to Randys mom at shows and try and bother Randy --just never came close to him.... After finals in 80 --we were celebrating in the lot when some came after Randy one more time--I hit one with my crutch in the stomach --couple other guys--stood up and landed a few blows and they scattered away quickly--it was over in seconds.

When they returned home ( vanguard ) --Reliable Rondo --folded florida vanguard --reformed under the name Florida Wave--He kicked out all problem kids plus some left and went to other corps---And Wave started to turn things into a corps the way they should be---

Ironic --I came on board with Wave in 84 and stayed thru 89--and the guy i hit with the crutch --Was one of the 2 DM'S--LOL----he had changed....He left after 84 marched scouts his age out year and the rest is history!!

I will say there were many sordid details happening in florida vanguard that gave Randy more than enough good reasons to leave.....Those same reasons are what lead Rondo to change the whole corps for the better in the future.

Jeff

Edited by xmenjeffb