Another Stockton Review

This was the first time I've ever seen an early season west coast show. Growing up in Ohio, I usually didn't see BD and SCV until finals week. So I was excited to see how prepared they were.

Here are the highlights:

The Renegades: Never saw them before, Liked it just fine.

The Academy: Very well prepared. Obviously the staff knows what they are doing. They've been taught how to play before they stepped onto the field. Their tone was very mature and good throughout the section. Very few individuals stuck out. They will be very successful in Div. 2 this year.

SCV: They were very prepared. You could tell that they has a concept of what their horns were supposed to sound like. They were certainly the loudest corps of the night. Their horn book was well written and the more technical passages were well played. You didn't notice that the pit was amplified until I looked down at them. I think amplification is a good thing.

The guard was quite messy. The flag line in the back of the field was extremely weak. The work didn't have much lower body underneath the work. I was expecting much more from Adam Sage. You can tell the difference between a good guard that is a little underprepared and a weak guard. They are a weak guard.

Visually they were relatively clean. The stood still for long sections of the show, and they used the same drill move (4 lines adding onto a box, then rotating the that box and condensing it) twice in the opener. Not overly creative.

They have major design issues. The music, even though it well extremely well written, doesn't create much effect. They trumpet trio at the beginning of the 3rd section should be done away with. It just will never work like its supposed to.

The visual book, is very limited. The drill is very plain, and they stand still for long sections of time. The music and drill are not well coordinated. It seems like there was music being played and there was drill being done but they really dont' have much to do with each other. There wasn't much communication between Key and Myron.

They do not have a show that can stand up against BD, The Cavaliers and The Cadets.

BD: They were clearly on a different level than SCV, both design wise and performance wise. They're going to be better than they were last year. I already like them more. Their horn sound is much more mature than SCV. Their notes aren't as clean yet, but that will come with time. The visual works much better with the music. They are certainly attempting more drill than they have in the past. In other words, don't be surprised if they win again.

They need new guard uniforms, I'm assuming the man in all black is just temporary, but the women in those calico aprons doesn't work at all.

To sum up:

The Academy-Very good

SCV-Going to finish 4th in Denver

BD-Might win again, need to see Cadets and Cavaliers before I jump to any conclusions.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were we at the same show?

I agree with you on your post about Renegades and Academy. I just want to add that the Academy was written perfectly for a first year corps. It is a great vehicle for them to have an opprtunity to succeed and they will be.

While I understand the cleverness of the train show I don't think it holds a candle to SCV's Sheherezade. BD is typically much stronger than SCV at the first show and this year the roles have reversed. SCV had some stop time but nothing compared to BD who took about 4 minutes to finally get up to tempo and that was in their ballad.

I liked BD's show but I think Key stated it clearly last night saying something to the effect of SCV will not get the win until they clearly beat the Dev's by five points, then they may win by one.

The guard was quite messy.

Wow, that must mean that BD was even worse. :blink:

P.S. When was the last time SCV beat BD in colorguard?

VANGUARD!!!!!!!

I liked BD's show but I think Key stated it clearly last night saying something to the effect of SCV will not get the win until they clearly beat the Dev's by five points, then they may win by one.

You know the saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

This has been true since the late 70's.

QUOTE (Schimmy @ Jun 21 2004, 03:20 AM)

You know the saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

This has been true since the late 70's.

Carrie-Luz-Rodriguez.jpg

Jeez, SCVs winning Brass and Guard against the group that has generally had the best hornlines and guards in recent history, and they're *still* getting screwed. There's just no pleasing some people. Having worked with KP for a few years, I imagine he's feeling pretty good with where they're at.

Edited by Low Pro BD