Another Stockton Review

Jeez, SCVs winning Brass and Guard against the group that has generally had the best hornlines and guards in recent history, and they're *still* getting screwed. There's just no pleasing some people. Having worked with KP for a few years, I imagine he's feeling pretty good with where they're at.

He is very happy with what they are doing. In fact everybody I talked to was extremely happy with what is going on. Key is not the first person to say this and I doubt he will be the last. The first time I heard it was when I marched SCV 20 years ago. I don't always think that SCV should win shows, in fact on the west coast, it is a rarity that I think they should win, but the Stockton show was one time that I think they actually deserved it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed that two people can attend the same show, and see two completely different things. :rolleyes:

I'm not. Shows are so complex, so much going on , if you turn your head for five seconds you miss a lot. I don't know about anyone else, but I can watch a show ten times and still not see everything.

I am amazed that two people can attend the same show, and see two completely different things. :rolleyes:

You are right, T1!

I gotta agree with the other posts on this thread...I LOVE SCV's Scherazade show. Saw it 3 times now (SCV Family Day, Moonlight Classic, and PP/PW), and it gets stronger each time. The power, emotion and storyline really captivates the audience's attention throughout the whole show. Not that I always love SCVs shows...last year's version was too esoteric and sterile for me and I never got into those TRON-like guard uniforms either.

IMO, the Blue Devils won Sat with a cleaner show, and I felt they were a little more "on" than SCV on Sun as well. However, I think SCV will be a very strong contender for the title this year...the season is still young and they have a great program that is already awesome, but still hasn't reached its full potential.

Quick question...did SCV program something into their show for us to yell VANGUARD? If so, where is it?

Quick question...did SCV program something into their show for us to yell VANGUARD? If so, where is it?

This year its at a section towards the end where the horns do a visual where they all hold their instuments up to the box in one hand and the other hand is on the chest... its sort of a quick pause this time.

This year its at a section towards the end where the horns do a visual where they all hold their instuments up to the box in one hand and the other hand is on the chest... its sort of a quick pause this time.

a.k.a. the chalice, if I remember correctly. (We did it in our show last year at the end of Russian Christmas.)

And be careful this year! There are TWO silent

spots and its in the second void where the alumni

have introduced us to the "Vanguard" yell.

BTW - my brain's been looping the SCV opener

all day. Think that's the first time that's happened

in a while!

MAV

a.k.a. the chalice, if I remember correctly. (We did it in our show last year at the end of Russian Christmas.)

It's near the 9 minute mark.

I feel that this one of the strongest SCV shows since Phantom. I didn't really care for last years show, which is hard to admit since I've always been an SCV fan. I'm hoping that they are able to carry it through finals...this may be the year. ^OO^ ^OO^

if u watch the caption heads commentary on the 2003 DCI DVD, both Key and Jim cassella state that they never plan the "vanguard yell". they laugh everytime.