Stockton/Hayward Review

A few corps have chosen not to begin with a brass warm-up, but Pacific Crest creates a warm setting with Chanticleer’s “Ave Maria” before launching into the murder and intrigue of their Bernard Hermann show.

Sprawled in corpse-like fashion, one guard member is the victim, while another plays the part of criminal. From piece to piece, we see the body quickly surrounded by the horns and the perpetrator running from the scene. The highlight is music from “Baghdad,” which has the sopranos using air fresheners (really!) as mutes, creating exotic, mystical melodies. Snares have their feature on world percussion drums, enthusiastically pounding and dancing.

Finally I understand Pac Crest's show! Yea!!! Thanks, Mav.

I dont get it. Everyone is acting like this is Academy's first year of existence. Academy has been around for FOUR years! Sure this is the first year as an actual drum & bugle corps, but in their first few seasons they did exhibitions as a standstill brass and percussion ensemble, as well as fielded a winterguard/summer guard. Last year they performed in exhibition doing a full show (minus a colorguard) and this year they added in the guard. I dont mean to rain on Academy's parade or seem like i have a case of sour grapes or anything because Academy deserves all the success they will have, but they havent gotten this good overnight.

Eh? I don't see anyone acting like it's their first year of existence. Yes, they've been building up for several years. But this IS their first year of competition, and they came out and beat groups that have been around for FAR longer - including SCV Cadets and Mandarins. That's what the buzz is all about, and what people mean when they say 'came out of nowhere'.

They beat the Mandarins already? Wow that is some feat!

[seeing as how they're in Div 1]

You know...any way you slice it, this is a corps that is taking the activity/sport (WHATEVER) by storm. And keep in mind they are from one of the "cursed" states. I think we should all be happy no matter WHO they out score or how they do it.

Looking @ a few jackets, it seems that there are some "vets" in their brass like from B.C (before corps) but the prec section looked like youngins. That's some feat.

And as for beating the Mandarins either it's 1. Outscoring them when they were div II or 2. Getting a higher score than them that night (regardless of the sheet change)

Just my $0.02

It's a great feat, I remember my first year marching and there is nothing that can prepare you for that first show or season. Of the 110 or so kids that were in the corps in 76 about 90 or so were rookies, it didn't matter what the vets or staff told us or how hard they worked us until you hit the field and do it you cannot be prepared. Props to The academy and keep bringing it I look forward to seeing them in So Cal in July. :rolleyes:

Calvin

Anaheim Kingsmen 76-77

Seattle Imperials 79

Baritone

Dude.. .another Calvin on DCP....

I KNEW there was a disturbance in the force! ^0^

A few corps have chosen not to begin with a brass warm-up, but Pacific Crest creates a warm setting with Chanticleer’s “Ave Maria” before launching into the murder and intrigue of their Bernard Hermann show.

Too bad I won't get to hear Pacific Crest this year. The Franz Biebl Ave Maria is stunning, and I've always wanted to hear a Drum Corps use it somehow.