Walnut Reflections-7/3/04

Switching staff members between corps is quite common. It can and does work. As far as SCV and BD goes, they have swapped staff members back and forth for years, since the incepetion of both of these wonderful corps. Percussion, Brass, Marching, you name it. Fred Sanford, Scott Johnson, Jim Casella, Glen Crosby, Dave Carico, Gino Cipriani, and on and on and on; they have all worked with BOTH corps and have contirbuted positively to each group while there.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... Dave Carico....

Me thinks the world will be seeing more of him soon enough....

:sshh:

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

What ever happened to Dave Carico? I have posted this on other forums/newsgroups in the past, but nobody, and I mean nobody, seems to know what ever happend to him.

He was a great instructor, and in my opinion, was a very good, underated brass arranger too.

Cool guy. Does anyone know what he has been doing since falling off the face of the earth? Is he still involved with music, teaching, arranging?

I made contact with him because of Drum Corp Planet as a matter of fact. I noticed he had written something and helped produced the Blue Devil Alumni CD. So I asked if anyone on DCP had his email address--someone sent it to me--and I typed a quick message to him saying hi after 16 some odd years. He's doing great. Not in the activity actively right now...but some of us just have a way with pulling people out of retirement...

:silly::silly::silly:

:sshh:

Almost forgot to put this in...

Yes, Dave Carico is/was a very underrated horn instructor and arranger. He mleft his mark on VK, and it was great working with him as his drum major in 1987. Funny back then that he'd want to do a run through on something during horn arc, and he had a funny way of conducting, akin to putting a cigarette in his mouth, counting off the horns, and then more or less flapping his arms. Seemed to be a running joke that he'd forget I was standing there, and then he'd do this great "Would you get in here and conduct, because I sure can't!!" sort of act. He was great...and I've got a great picture of me at a camp conducting with him standing in the background sort of out of focus, but we had similar hair styles and we're both wearing the same dang clothes!!

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

Heh, the only thing I remember about DC was that orange MG he drove...for some reason, Wayne used it to pick me up from the Concord BART station when I flew up to audition. I remember thinking "this is driven by the great Wayne Downey??"

Then we got to the school and I saw Wayne's Porche!!!

I was really impressed with the hand-held crotales that the drumline uses in Summertime, it is an incredible effect.

I'm with you there, I was really spellbound on Friday in Riverside because I had never heard anything like that before and I thought it was coming out of the amps in the pit! Then at the victory concert I saw what they were holding but glad you put a name to it. I couldn't wait to hear it again the next night.

I was really impressed with the hand-held crotales that the drumline uses in Summertime, it is an incredible effect.

It definitely was quite different..and a nice effect. Cant remember anything as different since '93 Cadets Opener with the Snares using Individual Chime notes.

I was doing the same thing... Searching frantically for the person(s) in the pit who were making those sounds, convinced they were being amplified. What a great affect, and no amps were needed!!! ^OO^

I was doing the same thing... Searching frantically for the person(s) in the pit who were making those sounds, convinced they were being amplified. What a great affect, and no amps were needed!!! ^OO^

How about that train sound? Brilliant...amped or not!!