1975 MUCHACHOS

I GET A BIG KICK OUT OF READING ABOUT OUR CORPS FROM 1975. BEING ONE WHO WAS THERE AND EXPERIENCED EVERYTHING, I FIND IT AMAZING HOW THE REAL STORY AND EVENTS HAVE BEEN TWISTED. ONE THING I WILL CLEAR UP WAS THAT THERE WAS NO ONE FROM OUR CORPS SPITTING AT PEOPLE, THROWING MOUTHPIECES AT FELLOW CORPS MEMBERS, OR DOING ANYTHING THAT WOULD TARNISH THE GREAT NAME THAT WE HAD.

THE DQ OF THE MUCHACHOS WAS A SETUP FROM EARLY ON IN THE YEAR WHEN DCI KNEW OF THE INFRACTION. THEY HAD THE ENTIRE YEAR TO ASK US TO CORRECT THE SITUATION, YET CHOSE NOT TO. THEY HAD PICTURES OF THE PERSON IN QUESTION AT THE WORLD OPEN....VISUAL PROOF THEY WERE SEARCHING FOR, YET STILL WAITED UNTIL PHILLY PRELIMS TO SPRING THE SURPRISE WHEN WE CAME OFF THE FIELD.

DID WE MARCHING OVER AGE?.....SURE WE DID....BUT IT WAS COMMON AMONG TOP 12 PARTICIPANTS. NO EXCUSES...........WE DIDNT HAVE TO BECAUSE OF THE TALENT POOL WE HAD. IT WAS SOMETHING THAT WE JUST NEVER QUESTIONED. WE ALSO HAD PHONY ID'S AND NAMES....I KNEW SEVERAL IN OTHER BIG TIME CORPS...........DID THAT MAKE US ANY BETTER?.....I DONT THINK SO..............DID WE WIN PRELIMS....YUP....BY ALMOST A POINT!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it amazing that you can't find the CAP LOCK key on your keyboard. The fact that you don't see a problem with marching overage members is absolutley, are ya ready?

PATHETIC.

Go crawl back into your hole.

The prelims score was never tabulated (see archival threads on the topic here at DCP). For the record, Muchachos were nearly two points down from Madison earlier that week at CYO, and five points down from BD at World Open the Friday before that. Would be a helluva jump from 2nd-5th in the pack to be on top by a point at prelims. Madison was dominant that year, and M's never beat them once in regular competition.

It was indeed common to march overage members. But Hawthorn got busted, in part, because of the sheer volume of overage marchers. One or two is one thing - 20+ (22 birth certificates notorized by the same notary?) is another....

Edited by mobrien

Back then you could win DATR and lose by 3 points to everyone the next night...that's neither here nor there....

I'm not defending the overages...however I don't believe one way or another that scores were or were not tabulated - whatever was written wherever, they used to be tabulated so quickly you'd get your score with 10-13 minutes in some cases. I saw both on at prelims on that day, the best corps on the field on that day in Philly were the Muchachos IMO. Of course that may be the EAST in me talking! But I don't think so.

YO MO................Once again, you have no idea what you are talking about. We did not have 20+ overage members. Why does everyone insist on writing things they have no knowledge of?....The scores were tabulated. Frank Gerris the drill instructor keeps the score in his posession to this very day.....Also, how would you explain the almost 5 pt loss to BD at World Open, and a 2 pt victory over them at CYO?....A 7 point turnaround..............your theory is shot!...............

Paul Milano tracked down the urban myth re: tabulation last summer for the 2003 version of this thread :P , and I don't have a reason to disbelieve him.If you want to go on the record saying that Bob Briske, Don Pesceone, Don Warren, and everyone else with first hand knowledge of what happend re: the disqualification and the sheets is a liar, that's your privilege. But they have gone on record as saying that the number of suspicious birth certs are what I stated, and that the sheets were never tabulated.

YO DILL WEED...............NO ONE SAID IT WASNT A PROBLEM....JUST COMMON PLACE.....GET A LIFE LEGEND

maybe "JUST COMMON PLACE" for Corps that weren't considered to have any integrity.

It's laughable that you can talk about it like it is so accepted.

PATHETIC

When I joined the Mucs, I was NEVER asked for a birth certificate, nor was anyone that I knew in the corps. Additionally, having many friends in the corps, the age issue was a non factor except for a person in our drumline...........the person who "ratted" on us was a drumline reject who went out to Chicago that year and blew the whistle. How it happened should be of no consequence, only that it did. I personally blame the instructional nad management staff for the infraction. Funny how some of those same instructors from Hawthorne ended up in Bayonne a year later, and the same thing happened in 1977 to the bananas. Talking about not learning a lesson!. But that's how rappant being overage was back then.

The higher ups in question have stuck to their story because it would make DCI look foolish if they were suddenly to release the "facts". Other corps benefited from the Mucs DQ. One in particular.....(Troopers).....also funny is how their director was part of the meeting after our prelim performance. I also find it ironic that my story is the same one that ended up in "THE HISTORY OF DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS". Don Peseone also asked Ken Kobold to destroy his recording of us from that year. If anything, if there is nothing to hide, the DCI should release the recording as part of the Legacy Collection....just like they did for the Bridgemen...........

It just concerns me that most people do not know the facts from that year, and would rather make up things than to search out the truth. I was there on the field that day, and I was part of a group at the meeting afterwards.

When I joined the Mucs, I was NEVER asked for a birth certificate, nor was anyone that I knew in the corps.

look man, I don't want you to think that I am singling you out, but that statement is scary in itself. In essence, the Corps management did you guys in.